Sports Recap

Baseball

Photo courtesy of clarkathletics.com

Photo courtesy of clarkathletics.com

Clark Baseball is 4-2 since the team returned from its spring break trip in Florida. The team notched these four wins against Anna Maria College, Elms College, and Brandeis University twice. James Conway (‘16) recorded nine hits and two home runs in these four wins, vaulting him into earning last week’s NEWMAC Baseball Player of the Week award. Kyle Bonicki (‘17) has also been on a tear for the team: he is currently second in the NEWMAC in on-base percentage at .562, and his .651 slugging percentage ranks fifth in the conference. The Cougars are currently 9-9 and will begin conference play on Saturday at Emerson College. They will return home on Saturday, April 2 to face off against MIT at 12 p.m.

Men’s Tennis

Photo courtesy of clarkathletics.com

Photo courtesy of clarkathletics.com

Clark Men’s Tennis revitalized their focus for the season over spring break in Florida. The team went 2-5 in Orlando against some of the top Division III tennis teams in the country. They returned to New England with a 9-0 victory at Rhode Island College on Wednesday, March 16. Spencer Pinkney (‘17) said he thinks that the spring break trip is crucial for setting the tone for the year. “The trip always provides a great experience for the team because we get to play a ton of matches in a short amount of time and get to spend a lot of time together,” Pinkney said. “Everyone gains a little extra excitement and motivation for tennis over spring break and it’s a great way to kick off the spring season in general.” The team also continued their tradition of having a mini golf tournament, which Ian Levy (‘19) won. The Cougars will play their next home match against Johnson & Wales on Tuesday, March 29 at 3:30 p.m.

Softball

Photo courtesy of clarkathletics.com

Photo courtesy of clarkathletics.com

Clark Softball suffered a five-game skid this past week before righting the ship against Becker College with a 4-1 victory. However, the team has posted several strong games offensively. “Against Brandeis we had a huge hitting game,” said catcher Kayleigh McHugh (‘19). “It came down to the last innings, and they had the home field advantage, and they pulled it out.” McHugh said the team has improved confidence in late situations after playing several tough games, and it showed in their win against Becker. “We rallied around each other that game, and we made a few mistakes but it didn’t rattle us as much as it had in the past,” said McHugh.

Taylor Erickson (‘19) boosted the offense with a home run in extra innings against Becker to put the Cougars up three. McHugh said that she will not forget the moment anytime soon. “Just seeing her face as she ran around the bases was almost as exciting as the home run itself,” said McHugh. Erickson has an on-base percentage of .400, good for third best on what has been a potent offense all season. The Cougars will play their next home game on Saturday, March 26 at 12 p.m. against MIT.

Lacrosse

Photo courtesy of clarkathletics.com

Photo courtesy of clarkathletics.com

Clark Lacrosse came across their largest speed bump of the season when they lost 16-6 to NESCAC powerhouse Wesleyan. The offense did not flow as seamlessly as it has in the Cougars’ other few games so far, and Clark found itself in less control of the game than the team was used to. They recorded only 24 shots to Wesleyan’s 51, and only two of the six Clark goals came off of assists. “Wesleyan is a very skilled, athletic team at every position. When you have a team of that caliber, everyone has to play smarter and faster,” wrote attackman Nick Johnson (‘17) in an email to The Scarlet. He added that he thought the game was good for the team, “We definitely gained some experience. They’re the toughest team on our schedule so it was a great test for us as we enter league play.” The team will make its NEWMAC debut against Wheaton College on Saturday, April 2 at 7 p.m. in the Renny Classic, which seeks to raise awareness for Alzheimer’s Disease.