Sports Recap

Baseball

Photo courtesy of clarkathletics.com

Photo courtesy of clarkathletics.com

Clark Baseball commenced conference play at Emerson on a positive note, winning both games of a Saturday doubleheader. Clark’s pitching shone through; Cal Slepkow (‘19) gave up no runs in nine innings, only six hits, and doled out seven strikeouts. Mike Tice (‘19) also performed well, giving up no runs in seven innings in the second game, which resulted in a 8-1 win for the Cougars. Clark took this strong start into Tuesday in which they lost in a nail-biter to top NEWMAC team Wheaton College. The game went to ten innings. Patrick Robinson (‘18) pitched what was one of his greatest performances as Cougar, giving up only one run and striking out eight batters. The team will play MIT at home on Saturday as they look to continue their strong start to conference play.

Lacrosse

Photo courtesy of clarkathletics.com

Photo courtesy of clarkathletics.com

Clark Lacrosse ended up in a close game after coasting to a 3-0 lead in the first quarter. Plymouth State was able to scrape back into the game, playing tough defense and dedicating one defender to face-guarding attackman Nick Johnson (‘17). Much of the offense stems from Johnson’s ability to create separation from the defense and pass to his teammates, and the team did not operate to their usual high-octane degree without Johnson being as involved in the action. Nevertheless, the Cougars found a way to triumph again, winning 10-8. Midfielder Isaac Bass (‘16) found his pre-Wesleyan-game form netting four goals, while Will Mandracchia (‘18) notched two goals and two assists. Both scored one goal in the fourth quarter to help Clark breakaway from an 8-8 stalemate. Clark will make its NEWMAC debut on Saturday at home against Wheaton at 7 p.m. in the Renny Classic which aims to raise awareness for Alzheimer’s Disease.

Softball

Photo courtesy of clarkathletics.com

Photo courtesy of clarkathletics.com

Clark Softball started conference play on a down note against MIT over the weekend. The team was stymied by some strong pitching and lost the first game of the double header 8-0, and the second one 6-0. They took their frustration from these losses out on Anna Maria on Tuesday, who they beat 4-3 and 8-0 in a doubleheader. The team was down 3-2 until the 5th inning, during which Alyssa Wright (‘16) doubled to center field, then Lauren Mackey doubled, sending Wright home, and Rachel Kraytenberg (‘16) doubled sending Mackey home. They will re-enter NEWMAC competition at Smith College on Friday.

Men’s Tennis

Photo courtesy of clarkathletics.com

Photo courtesy of clarkathletics.com

Clark Men’s Tennis continued their strong campaign since returning from Florida against Johnson & Wales on Tuesday. The Cougars triumphed 5-4, thanks to late match heroics by number 6 singles player Jimmy Keogh (‘17) in his third set that clinched the victory for the Cougars. This was Keogh’s first year consistently playing a crucial role for the team, but he handled it like a seasoned veteran after his opponent tied the match 1-1 in the second set. “During the third set, I kept telling myself to stick to the game plan and continue to have confidence in my strokes,” wrote Keogh in an email to The Scarlet. “Sometimes that’s the hardest part about tennis, having to pick yourself up after making a mistake and moving on so you can follow it up with something positive.” Clark will host Babson College in their first home conference game on Saturday, April 9 at 1 p.m.