Sports Recap

Baseball

Co-captain David Eschen (’15) rounded the bases three times to help Clark beat Fitchburg State (Photo: clarkathletics.com)

Clark Baseball was unable to continue conference play due to inclement weather this weekend. However, they notched an 8-6 win against Fitchburg State on Thursday, March 31. Captains David Eschen (’15) and James Conway (’16) catalyzed the Cougar offense. Eschen reached base in the first inning before Conway smashed a home run to center field. Later on, Eschen hit a solo home run in the third inning. This display helped Clark withstand a four run inning from Fitchburg in the fourth. Clark was ultimately able to pull away from the 6-6 tie after four innings due to some lighting-rod relief pitching by Joe Gouveia (’17) and a string of hits in the seventh to take the lead. They would not relinquish it, as Mitch Mondro (’19) came in to pitch for the last two innings, giving up no hits. The win boosted Clark Baseball over .500, giving them a record of 12-11. They will plunge back into conference play at WPI this Friday, and then at home this Saturday at 12 p.m. against WPI two more times.

Softball

Co-captain Alyssa Wright (’16) led all Cougars with two hits in Clark’s 4-2 loss to Smith. (Photo: clarkathletics.com)

Clark Softball ran into another NEWMAC-shaped obstacle on Friday. The Cougars travelled to Western Massachusetts to face off against Smith College, who they lost 6-2 to in the first game of the double header, and 4-2 to in the second game. In the first game, Smith rocketed out of the gate, scoring five runs in the first inning. Despite this laser show from the Pioneers to begin the game, head coach Linda Wage stuck with pitcher Taylor Erickson (‘19) for the rest of the game. It paid off. Erickson only let up one run the rest of the game, and gave Clark a chance to claw their way back. They started showing signs of doing so in the sixth inning when Kayleigh McHugh (‘19) hit a two run homer to narrow the lead to four, but Smith was ultimately able to ride their hot first inning to a victory. In the second game, Clark was able to jump out to a 2-0 lead thanks to a two RBI double from Rachel Kraytenberg (‘16) in the fourth inning. But Smith came back in the fifth inning with an uncommon grand slam that the Cougars would not recover from. Despite this adversity, the Cougars remain confident “The team’s confidence and energy is something that has been flourishing over the last few months. We really didn’t know how this season was going to turn out at the beginning, but something I have never doubted was this team’s confidence. We know we are more than capable to play the game and we’re all just happy to be here and happy to play because of it,” wrote co-captain Lauren Mackey (‘17) in an email to The Scarlet. Clark will take the diamond again on Friday, April 8 at home in a double header against WPI starting at 3:00 p.m. Check them out over at O’Brien Field just off of June Street right near the Arboretum.

Women’s Rowing

Photo: clarkathletics.com

Clark Women’s Rowing braved the storm on Lake Quinsigamond for their spring season debut on Saturday. The team rowed against some strong Division III competition in Connecticut College and Bowdoin, as well as crosstown rival Assumption. Their varsity eight finished in third of four boats behind Bowdoin and Assumption, their novice eight won in a two boat against Connecticut College, and their varsity four finished third out of five boats, beating Connecticut College B and Assumption’s novice four. Rower Niki Lew (’17) wrote in an email to The Scarlet that she thought the team put forth a strong effort despite the weather. “In the past couple weeks we have rowed in the rain, the ice, and the snow. It’s not always fun, but those are the practices that count the most,” she wrote. Not only were the Cougars prepared mentally, but they were also optimally equipped to brave the storm. “Coach also bought us these new high visibility jackets to keep us warm and dry for the most part…and we just look super cool in them,” she added. The team will have its next race on Sunday, April 10 against Bryant, Endicott, Mount Holyoke, University of Vermont, and Simmons in what is forecasted to be more hospitable weather at Lake Quinsigamond than during this past race.

Men’s Rowing

Photo: clarkathletics.com

Clark Men’s Rowing hosted Assumption, Bowdoin, and Connecticut College on Saturday, April 2 at Lake Quinsigamond. The varsity four, consisting of Thomas Viollier (‘16), Nick Reynolds (‘17), Grant Madigan-Kolstad (‘18), and Jamie Chaitman (‘19), raced against Bowdoin and Connecticut. They finished second out of the three boats, besting Connecticut College with a time of 7:34.3 in the 2000 meter race. Freya Pollock (‘18) of the women’s rowing team served as coxswain for the men’s rowing team, since they do not have a male coxswain. The team is currently only able to field a boat of four, but has a handful of young rowers looking to, as Donald Trump might say, make Clark Men’s Rowing eight again. The team will row in its next race on Sunday, April 17 at Lake Quinsigamond against WPI and Tufts.

Men’s Tennis

Jacob Malicky (’19) played a close #6 singles match, and is among the young, budding talent of Clark Men’s Tennis. (Photo: clarkathletics.com)

Clark Men’s Tennis put up a good fight against Wheaton College, but lost 8-1. Number 3 singles player Spencer Pinkney (‘17) picked up the lone win for Clark, winning both of his sets 6-2. Despite being the only one to win a match for Clark, Pinkney commended the effort of his teammates, and said the 8-1 final was not indicative of Clark’s performance. “As a whole the matches were very competitive across the board and everyone played really well,” Pinkney wrote  in an email to The Scarlet. “My takeaway from this match is that we are a young team that still needs more experience, but we got a great group of guys that are all motivated to win. This was a great experience for everyone and I’m optimistic about the rest of the season and our conference matches.” The Cougars will take on Babson College on Saturday, April 9 at 1 p.m.