Sports Recap

Lacrosse

Photo courtesy of clarkathletics.com

Clark Lacrosse lost their first conference game 8-7 in overtime to Coast Guard on Saturday, bringing their NEWMAC record to 1-1. Coast Guard won the ground ballmargin by ten, and according to attackman Nick Johnson (‘17), were more aggressive on the ground than Clark. “I think the overall assessment of the game is that we really had a tough time on ground balls. I don’t know if the ball was just bouncing their way, or it was some sort of effort or nerves that we had,” said Johnson. This edge in ground balls pervaded the rest of the aspects of the game. Coast Guard deployed two short sticks on defense to add to the chaos on that end, “With those two shorties, they just locked our two midfielders off, so it puts a lot of pressure on the offense because it’s harder to move the ball around. If you go about it the right way, it shouldn’t be that hard, but because we were having a tough time on the ground it played into it, and we played into their system.”

Coast Guard also stymied the Cougar offense by trying to lock off Johnson, who leads the team in points. “They were really pressing out far on me,” said Johnson, “so I had to back out five yards. So from my standpoint, it’s like, ‘I’m gonna bring this guy as far out as I can because then he has to go recover when I pass across,’ and they just got lucky a few times when we passed across.”

Johnson said that while they play a better opponent than Coast Guard in MIT this Saturday, he thinks that the offense matches up with MIT’s defense well. “I honestly don’t think their defense recovers as well as you think they would…With Isaac on that back side, that’s tough to guard,” said Johnson. He said that they will need to be more aggressive about it and fight harder for ground balls this time, “I’m willing to give up my shins for it,” said Johnson.

Men’s Tennis

Photo courtesy of clarkathletics.com

Clark Men’s Tennis ended the week on a high note against Emerson this past week, winning 8-1. The match concluded with a three-set duel in the #2 singles seed between Spencer Pinkney (‘17) and Emerson’s #2 singles player. Pinkney was nursing a calf strain and was almost ready to throw in the towel after being down 0-5 in the second set, but his opponents aggressive hooking lit a flame under him. “I was kind of at the point where I was like, ‘Alright, my leg hurts.’ But then he got to me with his bad line calls, and I was just like, ‘Okay, I need to win now.’” Pinkney came fighting back in the second set and went on to win in the tiebreaker set with his teammates crowding around the game. “Having moral support in a match like that made all the difference,” said Pinkney. Clark will take on Coast Guard Academy at home on Wednesday, April 27 at 12:00 p.m.

Softball

Photo courtesy of clarkathletics.com

Clark Softball struggled through the tough part of their schedule, dropping one to Wheaton in a doubleheader, and losing two to Wellesley College. They also lost two to WPI on Friday afternoon. The rescheduling of games due to inclement weather last week caused the games to pile on this week. However, the Cougars managed to shut out a strong Wheaton team 4-0 in the second game of the double header. They did most of their work in the bottom of the second inning, during which Kayleigh McHugh (‘19) and Anjelica Gonzalez (‘18) each hit a double. Then Leah Bodin (‘18) grounded out but allowed Gonzalez to reach home to make the score 3-0. Some strong pitching by Sami West (‘18) allowed the Cougars to stay in the game. McHugh said that the difference between the wins and losses is focus. “We just need to keep our focus no matter what the situation is and we hit the ball much better and we perform the way we need to perform,” she said. They will look to do so this weekend at home against Coast Guard on Saturday at 12:00 p.m. and Worcester State on Sunday at 12:00 p.m.

Baseball

Photo courtesy of clarkathletics.com

Photo courtesy of clarkathletics.com

Clark Baseball played two of the toughest teams in the NEWMAC this weekend, taking on WPI once on Friday and twice onSaturday, and taking on MIT twice on Saturday. They went 0-5 for the weekend, but lost the WPI games by an average of1.3 runs. It came down to the last out on more than one occasion. Co-captain David Eschen (‘15) recounted the frustrating experience: “I think more than anything, the frustrating part is that most of those games with the exception of MIT, we lost by one run or two runs, and I think in three of those games, had the tying run on second base in the ninth inning. Two times it was me at the plate, and I didn’t come through either time,” he said.

However, Eschen said that he thinks that they have something good this year, especially with the emergence of several strong underclassmen. “I think our best baseball is yet to come…we always talk about even if you strike out, or you lose a game, you have to be able to take what you can from that situation and put it towards the next situation that comes your way,” he said. “We already got through the teeth of our schedule, and if there’s one group of guys that can pull it out, it’s this squad. That’s one thing I’m certain of.” The team will play Springfield once on Friday and then play against Babson on Tuesday after a 5-2 loss last Tuesday that was tied until Babson scored three runs in the eighth inning.

Women’s Rowing

Photo courtesy of clarkathletics.com

Clark Women’s Rowing had another strong performance in Lake Quinsigamond this past Sunday against Bryant, Endicott, Mount Holyoke, UVM, and Simmons. The novice eight finished first in a race of three with UVM and Endicott, the varsity four finished second in a race of three with Bryant and Endicott, and the varsity eight finished fourth out of six boats behind Simmons, UVM, and Mount Holyoke. Their novice eight finished first in a race of three with UVM and Endicott, posting one of their best races of the season. They finished with a 7:39.6, which was faster than Bryant and Endicott’s varsity eight time. They will row their next race in Lake Quinsigamond as always, against Tufts and WPI on Sunday.