Scarlet Letter

After almost four years of walking past the Carlson Science Library on my way out of the BioPhysics building, I finally decided to venture inside on Wednesday. A quiet unassuming library, it offered me a range of seating options and unexpected lovely views of campus. When I walked out two hours later, I marveled that it had taken me this long to discover this hidden gem.

With the end of the year upon me and the strange feeling of being a senior that comes with it, I wonder what else I’ve missed at Clark. What else have I walked past without exploring? What people have I never crossed paths with? What have I not done that four years ago I dreamed I would?

As these questions swirl in my head, the last one brings up another question, one that’s a bit more positive: What have I done that four years ago I never dreamed I would? The answer that immediately comes to mind is my involvement with The Scarlet.

I have always loved to write, but before coming to Clark, I never thought of being part of a publication. Even when I first came to Clark it wasn’t on my radar until I overheard an upperclassman on the field hockey team talking about The Scarlet while we stretched at practice one day. She wrote for the sports section and invited me to come along with her to a meeting sometime.

I still remember that first meeting. It was in a conference room on the first floor of the Geography Building, and I was wearing a red, white, and blue plaid shirt and my hair was still wet from the shower. I sat awkwardly at the oval table while the two people who seemed to be running the meeting bantered with us and went over pitches (ideas for articles), a term I did not yet understand. I took a pitch about the lack of water fountains at Clark and proceeded to write an article that was horrible by all journalistic standards.

Four years and a lot of mistakes, help, laughter, and late nights later, I am writing my last “Scarlet Letter” as editor-in-chief. Besides disbelief, I feel many other emotions.

I am sad to leave behind all the people who have become some of my closest friends, especially Editor-at-Large Anna Spack (‘16), Creative Director Rose Gallogly (‘16), and Living Arts Editor Matt Emmer (‘16), who were there with me from the very beginning when The Scarlet was in shambles. I am overjoyed that the Editorial Board and staff are more talented than ever before, and that pun-loving Executive Editor Ethan Giles (‘17) will be leading the charge next year as a fantastic editor-in-chief. I regret not being able to write articles about everything I or other people wanted me to. And I am still processing the fact that, since I am not pursuing a career in journalism or a related field, this may very well be the last article I ever write.

For anyone who has ever read The Scarlet, whether you are a dedicated reader or only occasionally look at our Facebook page, thank you for sticking with us and understanding that although we are not perfect, we have always tried our best and looked to improve. I have no doubt that that will continue after I am gone, and that The Scarlet will go in many new, exciting directions.