Sports Recap

Baseball

Photo courtesy of clarkathletics.com

Photo courtesy of clarkathletics.com

Clark Baseball had an action packed weekend. The team played three games against Coast Guard and went 1-2 for the weekend. Unfortunately, they came one game short of qualifying for a spot in the conference playoffs. Going into the weekend on a hot streak to play Coast Guard three games, one on Friday at home and a doubleheader at Coast Guard on Saturday, the Cougars needed to win at least two out of the three games to qualify for the playoffs.

On Friday, the Cougars were down 2-0, but made a comeback to take an 8-4 lead. Michael Eglow (’16) hit a big RBI double to give them the lead. Later on, Adam Chochrek (’17) hit a two run homer to complete a four-run seventh inning. The Cougars never looked back from then on and won 8-4.

The next day, however, the Cougars lost two close games, each by one run and one in extra innings. The Cougars earned a 10-7 lead going into the eighth inning, but could not hold on and ended up losing the first game 11-10 in ten innings. Ted Downing (‘18), Michael Eglow (‘16), and Zach Richall (‘16) each had two hits. They lost the second game 10-9. Downing had another pair of hits, and David Eschen (‘15) led the offense with three hits. “They were two very close, competitive games,” said Richall who played college his last game on Monday. “They were two of the most emotionally taxing games I’ve played in here at Clark. In the end, we fell short of our goals.”

Despite their shortcomings, the Cougars showed a lot of team spirit, and had a good run down the end of the season. They fought through a few injuries to key players, such as pitcher Jack Kenney (’16). The senior class also felt satisfied with their performance not just down the stretch, but when reflecting on their four years at Clark. “As devastating as those losses were, I am extremely proud of how hard my fellow classmates fought. We left Clark baseball in a better position than when we came in…We came in and became brothers, and without them I don’t know who I would be in life,” said Richall.

Men’s Tennis

Photo courtesy of clarkathletics.com

Photo courtesy of clarkathletics.com

On Saturday at MIT, the Engineers knocked off Clark 7-­2. The two wins, once again, came from numbers five and six single spots where Teodor Nicola (‘19) knocked off Alex Jaffe 7-5 and Mateo Gomez (‘19) won 6-­2 over Justin Cheung.
With the loss to MIT, Clark was eliminated from playoff contention and fell to 6­-13 (1­-4 in NEWMAC) on the season. The Cougars ended the season at home with a tough 8-1 loss to Coast Guard. While the majority this season’s conference games proved to be insurmountable, the team has several young talented players and is only graduating one senior in captain Fernando Pinoargote (‘16). The team’s first-years improved exponentially as the season progressed and Clark will re-up their efforts next season as they look make a dent in the NEWMAC.

Women’s Rowing

Photo courtesy of clarkathletics.com

Photo courtesy of clarkathletics.com

Clark Women’s Rowing’s varsity eight was pushed to the brink during the NEWMAC championships on Saturday, April 23. They came in last, but finished ten seconds behind third place finisher Simmons. The fierce competition helped propel the Clark boat to a school record 2000m time of 7:04.78, blowing the previous record of 7:14.41 out of the water.

Clark’s varsity eight followed up this new record with a time of 7:11.02 against Amherst, Bowdoin, Conn. College, Mass. Maritime and URI the next day on Sunday, April 24. This finish gave them second place in a race of five boats. The varsity four placed third out of four boats with a time of 8:02.26, and the novice eight finished second out of three boats with a time of 7:50.46.
The women’s rowing team will row in their next race on April 30 in the New England Rowing Championships at Lake Quinsigamond. They will finish their season on May 8 in the National Invitational Rowing Championships which will also be held on Lake Quinsigamond.

Lacrosse

Photo courtesy of clarkathletics.com

Photo courtesy of clarkathletics.com

The Clark Cougars fell to the Babson Beavers 14-13 on Saturday, April 23.

The Scarlet and Gray fought a good fight, but ultimately could not secure the win. Babson scored first, but Clark answered quickly with goals from Ryan Moore (‘16) and Isaac Bass (‘17). Both teams continued to battle throughout the half. The Cougars led 5-4 at the half.

Babson wasted no time in the second half, tying the game to 5-5. Clark rallied scoring three goals. Unassisted, Mandracchia started the streak, and was followed by goals from Lucas Petricone-Berg (‘17) and Brandon King (‘19). Both teams continued to fire throughout the third quarter.

Babson found a good rhythm in the last quarter, scoring six goals to Clark’s three. The Beavers scored the winning goal in the last forty seconds of the final quarter.

In considering how the team is feeling about the upcoming week, Mandracchia is confident that the team will pull through: “Losing to Babson definitely sucked, but we fought the whole way through. It was a close game all four quarters right up until the end. We all need to look back and learn from it, but only to a certain extent. We have to keep our eyes forward and get better from it.”

The team played Springfield, who is undefeated in the NEWMAC, on Wednesday and lost 17-3. This loss disqualified Clark from the playoffs, an especially frustrating fact when one remembers all their other conference losses were by one goal, two of which went to overtime. The team will aim to remain competitive with the rest of the NEWMAC next season, as it will return several of its most talented players and benefit from another strong recruiting class.

Softball

Photo courtesy of clarkathletics.com

Photo courtesy of clarkathletics.com

Clark Softball split their season-ending doubleheader this past Saturday, April 23, losing to Emerson College 5-4 in extra innings in the first game but winning 7-0 in the second game.

A standard game is seven innings, but the first game went to nine. Though the Cougars went ahead 4-2 in the top of the eighth, with Lauren Mackey (‘17) hitting a double to drive home Alyssa Wright (‘16) and Anjelica Gonzalez (‘18) doubling to drive in Mackey, the Lions tied it up in the bottom of the inning and pulled ahead in the ninth.

“To go into extra innings is something that doesn’t happen a lot, so it was fun even though we lost,” said Rachel Kraytenberg (‘16), who drove in two runs. “You could tell everybody was into it and that we were all trying our best. That’s all that matters.”

The Cougars fared much better in the second game. Brenna Foley (‘18) pitched a complete game shutout, her fourth of the season. The Cougars’ bats were on fire throughout the game, with Kayleigh McHugh (‘19) blasting a two-out three-run homerun in the seventh inning, Kraytenberg getting on base three times with a single and two walks, and Leah Bodin (‘18) and Mackey earning two hits each.
“Winning against Emerson in a shutout was awesome, especially because it was me and Alyssa’s last college game ever,” Kraytenberg said. “To end on a good note felt amazing, and I definitely will never forget it.”