Weekly Recap: Sept. 30

Alex Hull (‘18) placed 11th in the Worcester City Championships

Sheila Ford

Sheila Ford

Scarlet Staff

Women’s Tennis – Lynn Pescaro

There was nothing easy about Clark Women’s Tennis 6-3 victory over Emerson College, which took place last Saturday, at Xaverian Brothers High School in Westwood. Isabelle Long (‘18), played No. 1 slot for both doubles, with partner Adrien Horowitz (‘19), and singles matches. Doubles team Emily Shuman (‘19) and Anna Gates (‘20) pulled off a close win at 8-5. Head Coach, Dan Herbst, said the matches could have gone either way. “We were fortunate to win two of the doubles positions.”

Clark took four out of six singles matches. In addition to Long’s win, Horowitz and Gates defeated Emerson’s No. 3 and No. 4 singles. Coach Herbst credits his team’s win to relying on their experience and being “consistent in their play.”

Amy Fallon (‘17), playing No. 6 singles, found the stamina and heart to win in a three-set tiebreaker. “The tiebreaker was super close. I really enjoyed playing this match, despite how long and tiring it was.” Long rallies require patience and focus. Fallon told her Emerson opponent, Emily Hagopian, that she “had never won a tiebreaker before because it’s so much pressure and only ten points to win.” Fallon said she “couldn’t have done it without my team and supporters on the sidelines cheering me on.”

Coach Herbst sees big improvements in the Emerson team, who lost to Clark 9-0 last year. “This Emerson team is really strong and a very young team that is going to be very tough in the future.”

Former co-captain, now Graduate Assistant Coach Rebecca Kravetz (’16) agreed. “They have a new coach and a bunch of new recruits. They’re going to be a tough one in the conference,” she said.

Although Clark gave up three matches, Coach Herbst commends all the players. “The match was extremely close at all positions. My entire team competed hard and stayed composed.” This was Clark Women’s first win in the NEWMAC.

The high from the Emerson win came crashing down to earth after a 9-0 defeat by MIT on Tuesday at home. MIT Women’s Tennis is, in the words of Kravetz, “…the best in our conference by far.”

Doubles and singles player Troan Nguyen (’18) said she sees it as a learning experience, “I feel like I, in a way, did win with myself because I had really good volleys. I need my baseline to be better.”

Emily Shuman (‘19) played No. 1 doubles with Isabelle Long (’18), but sat out the singles because of a leg injury. “That’s why I didn’t play singles today, in preparation for our matches that we really want to try and clinch.”

She is saving her strength for upcoming matches with Mt. Holyoke, Smith and Wheaton. Shuman has a positive attitude, “Winning [vs. MIT] for us is getting a few games off of them or hitting really well.” Clark fought through the frustration and never gave up. Clark’s overall record is now 5-5.

Come support the women’s tennis team on Oct. 8 at 1 p.m. in their last home match against Wheaton College.

Men’s Soccer – Aaron Trachtman

Clark defeated Coast Guard 2-0 in their eighth game of the season on Saturday. Their first goal came when Sean Munroe (‘20) was streaking down the right side, and hit a ball right into the path of Demetri Boumis (‘18), who finished the goal off in the corner. Trevor Sheridan (‘20) lofted the ball from the side over the goalie for a Munroe header for the second goal.

Munroe said after the game, “The soccer season is going fantastic. The biggest aspect of the team’s success in my opinion is the team chemistry. The team chemistry is astounding which allows everyone to gel together as one when we are on the field. As a freshman, starting out my collegiate career undefeated is huge. The team this year has so much potential, and the fans at the games keep us going and pumped game after game. We are excited to see where our success brings us this season, but also in the future of the program.”

Clark is now 9-0-0 with the highest rank in the NEWMAC. The team is undefeated going into its next home game against Springfield on Saturday at 1 p.m.

Men’s Cross Country – Jay Sundar Rajan

Clark Men’s Cross Country continues their season of stellar performances as the Cougars placed fourth among seven teams in the Worcester City Championships, hosted at Moore State Park in Paxton Mass. on Friday afternoon.

The afternoon’s best performances were by Alex Hull (‘18) and Satchel Smith (‘20) who placed 11th and 23rd respectively in one of the most hilly and repetitive courses of the season. “It was one of the hardest courses we ran because it was mentally boring — it was the same thing over and over,” said Hull.

The team races at the Saratoga Invitational in Saratoga Springs N.Y. next Saturday.

Field Hockey – Scott Levine

Clark Field Hockey lost a close game to Elms College on Tuesday. The score was tied at 0-0 until the last five minutes, when Elms finally got one past starting goalkeeper Dani Michaud (‘19). Clark was unable to fire back, and lost 1-0.

The Cougars found their offense against Becker on Thursday. Forward Olivia Barksdale (‘19) was too fast for Becker defenders. For Clark’s first goal of the 3-1 victory, Barksdale whooshed by a handful of Becker defenders, took the ball to the left corner, and crossed it Lauren Mackey (‘17), who put it away for the score. Clark is currently 5-4.

The team will look to improve its 0-1 conference record against WPI at home on Tuesday at 7 p.m.

Volleyball – Kayleigh McHugh

Clark Volleyball has had an interesting and exciting start to their season. They had two big wins on Saturday against Babson and Amherst. These wins followed a tough loss to Daniel Webster two weeks ago.

The loss to Daniel Webster was unexpected, explained Savannah Sanford (‘17), “I think we underestimated them, especially since we have a tough part of our schedule coming up, we didn’t pay them as much attention.”

Sanford said she views this as a learning experience, one of playing to the level of their opponents, and hopes the team will grow from the loss. She sees the wins against Amherst and Babson as more of a reflection on the team’s ability than the loss to Daniel Webster.  In the Babson match, major kills were made by Ana Mercado (‘19), and Hannah Fox (‘16). Marina Ramos (‘18) dominated the Amherst match with twenty-kill, 22-dig effort. Mia Cattaneo (‘17)  and Sanford also had impressive games against Amherst.

The two competitive faceoffs against Amherst and Babson came at a good time for the Cougars; the tri-match was held during Family Weekend, so the stands were packed.

“We knew we had the skill, and we knew we had what it takes to beat them, but I think having a big crowd definitely pumped us up for that game. It gave us more of a feeling of, this is our house, this is our gym, these are our fans. We got the mindset of, we have to win, and we did,” said Sanford.

Coming off of these two impressive wins at home, the team traveled to MIT on Tuesday. They lost a close 3-2 match, losing the fifth set 16-14.

Clark plays Mt. Holyoke and Rhode Island College at home this Saturday starting at 11 a.m.

Women’s Cross Country – Scott Levine

Clark Women’s Cross Country placed third out five teams in the Worcester City Championships on Friday. Nicolina Braccio (’20) and captain Kristen Glennie (’18) both finished in the top ten of the five-kilometer race – Braccio in fourth with a time of 20:07, and Glennie in ninth with a time of 20:39.

Maddy Doyle (’19), who is recovering from an injury, still managed to post a time of 21:21, good for 15th place.

These three have been the usual top finishers for Clark this season. “Usually the training groups will be me, Nicolina, and Maddy, and then sometimes Liza [French (’19)] is on there, and then the second group is Emily [Morang (’18)], Shannon [Reault (’20)], and Talia [Neuhaus (’20)]), and everyone in that second time range,” said Glennie.

The line between those two time ranges is blurring.

Neuhaus and Reault both finished in the top 25 out of 68 runners. Camille Bales (’19) placed sixth for the Cougars and thirtieth overall with a time of 22:54.

Morang was the seventh of seven runners to score for Clark with a 39th place time of 23:49. French and Sheila Ford (’20) both finished less than ten seconds behind Morang.

“That’s what’s exciting,” said Glennie. “They’re all moving up and they’re all coming together.”

The team leaves for Saratoga, N.Y. on Friday to race in the Saratoga Springs Invitational hosted by Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute on Saturday.