Weekly Recap: Nov. 18, 2016

Clark Men's Cross Country loosens up before NCAA New England Regional Championships (Photo courtesy of Emily Morang)

Women’s Basketball by Kayleigh McHugh

Clark Women’s Basketball started off their season strong, Tuesday Nov. 15, with a non-conference win against Fitchburg State. The Cougars came out on top 76-64.

Clark got the ball rolling quickly in the first half, with consistent shooting from Aretha Sullivan (‘17) and Sam O’Gara (‘18). Cori Ouellette (‘19) came off the bench to drain several key three-point shots. Free throws from Sami Dokus (‘16) secured the score to 21-7 at the end of the half.

“I think we started really strong,” said Dokus. “But one way or another we lost our rhythm in the second half. We needed to recollect ourselves better.”

The Falcons offense came out flying at the start of the second half, almost doubling their score by the third quarter. It was a close call toward the end of the game, but the Cougars were able to secure the win.

“It became a scrappy fight to the end, but I’m happy we were able to pull it out,” said Dokus.

Both teams committed 29 turnovers and a combined 48 fouls. But the Falcons could not catch the Cougars’ offensive game.

Their home opener win made for a promising start, and the Cougars are looking forward to their upcoming games.

Dokus said she is positive that the season will bring some great things.

“The month of [preseason] was cool because it was the only year that I’ve been at Clark that we’ve been able to jump right into plays. By the third practice we were running things that usually takes us a full month to get down… I felt like we were able to pick up right where we left off last year.”

With no incoming first years, Dokus is confident that team culture and camaraderie will be an important factor as the Cougars traverse the season.

In reflecting on their win this past Tuesday, Dokus was pleased to announce that Coach Glispin provided a little pre-game motivation, “At pregame practice everyone makes a free throw, and we all clap and cheer for each other. At the end she goes, ‘You’ve all been talking about this dabbing-business, I think I’ll give it a try.’ And then she dabbed! We all loved it. That was a huge motivation factor, and really pumped us up.”

Whether or not the display will be continued throughout the season is unknown, but it revealed an atmosphere of positivity before Tuesday’s game.

The Cougars take to the road Friday, Nov. 18 against Worcester State.

Cross Country by Aaron Trachtman

Clark Cross Country raced in the Division III NCAA New England Regional Championships.

For the men’s team, Hull finished in the top 200, getting 190th with a time of 27:32 in the 8k. Ryan Van Dine (‘18), came in second with a 230th place with a time of 28:39. Ethan Winslow (‘17) ran the course in 30:10, a personal best for the 8k distance.

Winslow, Rhys Duquette (‘17), and Sam Smith (‘17) will graduate, leaving positive legacies on the cross country team.

The women finished 27th overall at Regionals. Captain Kristen Glennie (‘18) finished 68th overall in the 6k, and set a new school record in 22:54.

Some other top performers were Nicolina Braccio (’20), in 108th with a time of 23:29, and Maddy Doyle (‘19) in 124th with a time of 24:32, leading the team to its best finish in nine years.

Swimming & Diving by Scott Levine

Clark Women’s Swimming & Diving proved they could swim well in rivers after travelling to Bridgewater State and winning. The win came thanks to some stellar performances from Melissa Orzechowski (‘17), Karina Urquhart (‘17), Amelia Muratori (‘19), and Lauren Clark (‘20) among others.

Orzechowski placed first in the 1000-yard, 500-yard, and 200-yard freestyle, Urquhart won the 200-yard breastroke, backstroke, and individual medley, Muratori finished first in the 50-yard and 100-yard freestyle, Clark won the 1-meter and 3-meter dive.

The men’s team lost to Bridgewater State but enjoyed solid showings from Julian Ortega (‘19), Steven Castiglione (‘18), Eddie McCluskey (‘17), and Dylan Schrama (‘19) among others.

Ortega won the 200-yard and 500-yard freestyle, Castiglione won both the 1-meter and 3-meter dive, Schrama placed second in 200-yard backstroke and 200-yard IM, and McCluskey placed second in the 50-yard and 100-yard freestyle.

Both teams will swim next weekend at Babson College in their first conference dual meet on Saturday, Nov. 19.