Weekly Recap

Courtesy of Clark Athletics

Courtesy of Clark Athletics

Swimming and Diving – Scott Levine

Clark Men’s and Women’s Swimming and Diving partook in the WPI Gompei Invitational from Friday, Dec. 2 to Sunday, Dec. 4. The team placed 12th of 13 teams.

A few of Clark’s notable performances were from Bill Holloman (‘19) and Dylan Schrama (‘19). Holloman finished second of the “C” finals of the 100-yard and 200-yard breaststroke. Schrama finished sixth in the “B” finals of the 100-yard IM.

For the women’s team, Melissa Orzechowski (‘17) finished tenth in the 1,650-yard freestyle, and Karina Urquhart (‘17) finished tenth in the “B” finals of the 400-yard IM.

Both teams will race next at Clark against Trinity College on Saturday, Sept. 10.

Women’s Basketball – Scott Levine

Clark Women’s Basketball won their first conference game on Wednesday against Coast Guard. They were lifted over the Bears in part due to forty combined points from their starting backcourt. Aretha Sullivan (‘17) scored 24 points on 9-17 shooting, and Sam O’Gara (‘18) scored 16, going 6-12 from the field.

This win came after an 82-63 loss to Emerson on Saturday. Clark played Emerson close in the first quarter, but the Lions outscored Clark 19-7 in the second quarter. Clark kept with Emerson for the rest of the game, but was never able to close the scoring gap.

The Cougars will have a break from conference play to face off against Nichols, Suffolk, and U-Mass Boston, but will return to the NEWMAC on January 4 to play Springfield in the Kneller.

Men’s Basketball – Lynn Pescaro

While most students were eating turkey, writing papers and sleeping 15 hours in a row, Men’s Basketball played four games in two weeks. Currently, the Cougars have a winning record of 5-2 having won three out of the last four last games. The schedule was Anna Maria (W 66-54), Connecticut College (L 84-74), Becker (W 79-67), and Fitchburg State (W 87-85), and Framingham State (W 53-43).

The last win puts the team in a comfortable position at 6-2 approaching winter break. Coach Phillips said, “We are off to a good start. We hoped that we would have this record through [seven] games. [We have a] big week this week with three games, all at home.” The next games are against Western New England, Edgewood, and Lebanon Valley.

The Pat Oroszko (’03) Day game is scheduled for Saturday, Dec. 10 at 1 a.m., the game is played in celebration of the life of Clark Men’s Basketball Assistant Coach Oroszko who died of cancer in June. His passing is still heavy in the hearts of everyone who knew him.

Phillips said that he feels the team is ready for the NEWMAC schedule: “I don’t feel that we have additional pressure when we approach the league, but at the same time these games mean more.  All are games leading up to our league games are designed to prepare for the NEWMAC.  Our league is very competitive and we have set a team goal to make the league playoffs.” Great New Year’s Resolution, Coach!