“Create a Culture, a Context, a Community”

Vagina Monologues raises money for Jane Fund

Elyse Wyatt, Scarlet Staff

This past Friday and Saturday, Clark put on its annual production of The Vagina Monologues. Written in 1996 as an off-broadway play by Eve Ensler, The Vagina Monologues are a collection of monologues centered around the experience of being female. It features women of all ages, races, and sexualities telling their stories and airing their grievances regarding the way they are treated, the way vaginas are treated, and the general attitude of the world toward vaginas.

Put on entirely by students, this year’s production was directed by Juliana Gluck (‘17), Uyanga (Melody) Mungunchimeg (‘18), and Katie Wallace (‘19). They organized the cast and crew, and set the gears in motion for the play. Wallace said that the “ball really got rolling after winter break.” She explained their preparation included rehearsals and lots of technical work, such as the recent “tech week,” in addition to general conversations about being a woman and having a vagina.

Wallace noted that the production was an “honest, amazing place to have those conversations,” and that sex was a normal conversation. She explained that the format of the show lends itself to this, with the monologues being a type of “theatre meets storytelling.”

Beyond putting on a play, The Vagina Monologues fostered a community within the cast. As the program states, the mission of The Vagina Monologues is not only to put on a show, but to “create a culture, a context, a community.” This sentiment was relayed by several cast members who were enamored with the opportunity to be a part of the community that was involved in the production.

Sofia Nahir Fernandez-Valdes (‘19) said there were “no words to describe how amazing it was. I am so proud to have been a part of this.” She recalled the group’s practice of meeting every week to openly talk about their experiences as women, and that despite the short time period, it was “sufficient to know that all these girls have your back.”

Referring to the competitive culture that often exists between women, Marika Bella Thompson (‘17) said that “it’s nice to be in a room full of girls that aren’t bashing on each other,” and that it’s a refreshing change of pace to be in a purely supportive community.