Clark Musicians Present Dynamic Final Show

Concert Choir, Chamber Chorus, and Sinfonia Performed Friday

Julia Baldacci, Scarlet Staff

Clark’s Concert Choir and Chamber Chorus helped end the year on a classy note with their spring concert on Friday, April 21. Accompanied by the Carl Sinfonia and conductor Emily Isaacson, they sang a selection of Baroque music. The Baroque period is often thought of as a period of artistic style that used exaggerated motion and clear, easily interpreted detail to produce drama, tension, exuberance, and grandeur in sculpture, painting, architecture, literature, dance, theatre, and music. The style was the prevailing artistic movement in 17th-century Europe.

The Chamber Chorus kicked the night off with a few German pieces (“Wohl dem,” “der nicht im Rat der Gottlosen,” “Himmel und Erde vergehen,” “Eins bitte ich vom Herren”) which flowed together quite nicely. The singers alternated between male and female sides of the stage, and only one sole instrument was played throughout. The tempo was slow, and the voices of the Chamber Chorus carried the music along instead of simply singing along to it.

Next, the Concert Choir and Sinfonia took the stage with a rousing performance of “Gloria,” the speed of which started out slow and then picked up quickly with each exclamation of Gloria. The rise and fall of many voices made compelling and dynamic interplay. Rather than overpowering each other, the voices found a variety of harmonies making for an excellent performance.

Their second performance, titled “Et in Terra Pax,” was extremely slow with long notes and a sad tone.

The Chamber Chorus then went on to perform a violin solo accompanied by female vocalists, two more group numbers, a combined soloist and group performance, all coming back to “Gloria” in a full circle.
Overall, both choirs and the Sinfonia that accompanied them exuded an extreme sense of professionalism and attention to detail. Conductor Emily Isaacson summed the show up well: the Baroque period of music is “full of surprises,” and this concert demonstrated the true gems of the era.