Cougar of the Week: Nick Johnson

Back to Article
Back to Article

Cougar of the Week: Nick Johnson

Cougar of the Week: Nick Johnson

Cougar of the Week: Nick Johnson

Cougar of the Week: Nick Johnson

Cougar of the Week: Nick Johnson

[vc_row][vc_column width=”1/1″][vc_column_text]

Image: Jonathan Edelman

Cougar of the Week: Nick Johnson

Freshman Nick Johnson has excelled on the lacrosse field both at Clark and while playing for Amherst Regional High School in Massachusetts. He has played in only five collegiate lacrosse games, but has already recorded 15 goals and 4 assists.

Scarlet: You’ve already scored more than a few goals this year. Is this something you expected to happen?

Johnson: No (laughs). We’re a pretty good team, I thought we’d do well. [I’m] just playing within the system.

Scarlet: I haven’t gotten a chance to see any of your games yet, so I looked up your highlights from high school on YouTube. It seems like you’re able to take advantage of a lot of the same opportunities in college that you did in high school.

Johnson: I played the same position in high school as I do in college, so it’s not much of a change. And I actually played with a couple of kids [in highschool] who [now] play [for] Clark, so [playing here] seems a little bit like home.

Scarlet: Who on the team did you play with in high school?

Johnson: So there’s two kids from high school. One’s in my grade and one’s [a senior], Isaac and Jonah [Bass], they’re brothers. My brother’s an assistant coach, so I’ve known some of the [other] kids that are on the team too.

Scarlet: When I was on your YouTube channel, I also saw your video for a Calculus project in high school in which you dressed up as French Mathematician Guillaume de L’Hôpital and made your own rendition of Dr. Dre’s “Nuthin’ but a G Thang”.

Johnson: Uh huh (laughs).That’s a funny video.

Scarlet: What’s been the biggest change between playing in high school and college?

Johnson: Playing against bigger people, I think that’s the biggest change for me. And playing with kids you haven’t been playing with your whole life, getting used to playing with different players.

Scarlet: Did you see playing against guys that were bigger than you as a potential setback?

Johnson: Yeah, I did at first, but I just came to work around it.

Scarlet: What do you contribute to this fast start for you individually?

Johnson: My team. Our defense holds us down. And I play with some great players [on offense], so I have to attribute [our success to] them too.

Scarlet: What’s been your favorite part of the season so far?

Johnson: Probably going to Florida for spring break with the team. We went paintballing mid-week It was really fun, and then we went to the beach. Hanging with the team the whole entire week was really fun.

Scarlet: It seems like the team has been able to establish a tight knit group as soon as you all got in the gym together. How has that been for you?

Johnson: It’s awesome. We’re all really good friends and we mesh together really well. I think that’s actually helped our team on the field too.

Scarlet: What are some of your goals for the rest of the season?

Johnson: We have a bunch of goals. We really want to beat Wheaton, that’s always a big one, and MIT, and hopefully get a spot in the playoffs. That’s always the goal.

Scarlet: Have your expectations for yourself changed after scoring so many goals so far, or are you just taking it game by game?

Johnson: It’s just game by game. Every play, just trying to do what you can do for your team. It’s just one game at a time, you don’t want to look too far ahead at all.

Scarlet: That’s the only mentality you really can have, especially being really new to college lacrosse.

Johnson: Exactly.

Johnson and the rest of the team had a very successful spring break trip to Clearwater, Florida, as they went 3-0 for the first time in Clark Lacrosse history. The team will play their next home game on Wednesday, April 2 against Plymouth State at 7 p.m. They will then host Wheaton College on Friday, April 11 in what is sure to be an intense battle between two long time rivals.

[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]