Scarlet Letter: 04/17/2014

“How can you bear to meet for so long and so late?!”

That’s a common reaction I get when I tell people that THE SCARLET meets from 7:45 p.m. until about 3 a.m. every Wednesday night. But honestly, it’s the highlight of my week.

I love Wednesday nights. When I’m at The Scarlet, I forget about all the things I’m stressed about. Without The Scarlet, I probably wouldn’t have laughed about half the amount of times I have in the past two years. Let’s face it, those seven-hour meetings are about 97 percent jokes, hilarious stories (shout-out to Claire), ridiculous comments, and hysterical laughter (interspersed with intense copy editing and news pitches, of course). I have had some of the most interesting and thought-provoking conversations at Scarlet meetings. We’re such an eclectic group, each with really different personalities and interests, but that’s what makes each week so fun and interesting. We’re like pieces of a puzzle, each bringing a unique temperament and character, and contributing different ideas to the paper. Without all the pieces, the puzzle wouldn’t be complete.

Okay, sure, Scarlet meetings are tons of fun and the people are awesome. But that’s not the only reason I’ve loved being a part of it. When I first joined, I had literally zero news writing or newspaper-publishing knowledge or experience. That’s definitely not the case anymore. Being on The Scarlet has taught me a ton about journalism and media. I’ve strengthened my writing skills, gained experience working with nine others on an Editorial Board, and developed social media outreach skills that will help me a lot in the future. The Scarlet has allowed me to resurrect the love and passion for writing that I lost somewhere in high school. It has also made me even more grammar-obsessed, if that’s possible.

Joining The Scarlet is the single best decision I have made in my two years at Clark, and is one of the things I will miss most while I am abroad in Spain for the entire 2014-15 academic year. I guess I’m pretty glad that my shy first year self decided to go to that first general interest meeting on September 12.