Daylight Savings

Every Thursday, I leave class and walk across Red Square toward a rehearsal of the Clark University Concert Band. The bells from the church across the street announce the hour as 6 p.m., and the sun shines its near-sunset cheer upon my fellow students and I. This week, and every week thereafter, this will not happen. Daylight Savings Time (DST) has ended.

This is bad.

DST, bafflingly, allows daylight to last longer in the summer, when there is already an overabundance of daylight. It’s like running your sprinklers when it’s raining outside (wuddup, Clark University).

The sun rose today (Wednesday) at 6:31 a.m. and set at 4:48 p.m. What this means for most college students is that we miss a good chunk of those early morning hours and spend maybe seven or eight (or more, if you’re working on a newspaper) in the dark.

According to the US census, the average commute to work for an American adult is 25.4 minutes. This means that the average 9-5 working American has to wake up TWO HOURS before they have to leave the house in order to experience the benefits of Standard Time. When they leave work, the sun will already be down.

Getting rid of DST is not the answer–that would just cause sunset to be an hour later across the board, fixing approximately zero of these problems. What we should really think about is implementing DST year-round, so that the sun is up at least for people who are on their way home from a standard workday.