Cougar of the Week: Aubrey Hulbert

Back to Article
Back to Article

Cougar of the Week: Aubrey Hulbert

Celine Manneville

Celine Manneville

Celine Manneville

Steven Castiglione, Scarlet Staff

Aubrey Hulbert (‘18) hails from Reno, Nev. Hulbert studies biology with a minor in Mathematics. She transferred to Clark for her sophomore year.

Scarlet: What got you into rowing?

Aubrey: My dad. He wanted me to do a sport that was going to be a little harder when I first came here. He brought me over to the coach and he introduced me and said, “She’ll do nicely for the team!” Other than that, it seemed like a sport that would be interesting to do because I had never done it before.

Scarlet: What is the biggest misconception people have about rowing at Clark?

Aubrey: The biggest misconception about rowing is, essentially, what a boat is. They think we are sitting in a boat. They don’t think of it as people being in a boat and rowing in synchronization, they usually imagine us just using our arms, not so much the legs, and [don’t know] how important the legs are.

Scarlet: What exactly goes into a regatta?

Aubrey: In crew, there are two seasons: spring and fall. In the fall, races are usually about 5K. For the spring, it is usually a 2K row. Those are the usual events in the regatta. There are sideline areas for spectators to go. They usually see the whole line and they will be able to see the boats as they race down the river.

Scarlet: Was the team welcoming to you as a transfer student?

Aubrey: Yes, yes, absolutely. Let’s see, when I first got on I was introduced to the captain and the whole squad. I have made some great friendships there. It is a very close knit group. Once you’re on the team you’re in the group, but we are super friendly to everyone.

Scarlet: Who from rowing has been a role model for you here at Clark?

Aubrey: Most likely Lydia Warters (‘17), she has a great attitude about rowing. She is very quirky and a lot of fun to be with. Rowing is very enjoyable when she is there, and her strokes are very precise. Being around her in the boat is very fun and enjoyable, especially listening to her one-liners, she is always going to make you laugh and it helps to pull harder and harder on the erg.

Scarlet: How was the training trip to Florida over spring break?

Aubrey: Oh my god, it was brutal. It was the some of the most brutal practices I had ever had. We went from 7 to 10 a.m., a four-hour break, and got on the water from 3 to 5 p.m., very fun but very tough practices.

Scarlet: How do you think the team will do this year?

Aubrey: I would say this is the most athletic Clark Women’s Rowing team in some time, and I’m not just saying that. Our coach is also saying that, not only our head coach but also our assistant coaches, and this is good because Clark doesn’t recruit for rowing. We have retained very talented individuals who have helped in each way to make sure that we stand a great chance. We joke on the team that we crush, kill, and crucify the completion. It’s a very friendly phrase we do work closely with WPI and Assumption but it is a very encouraging phrase.

Scarlet: What has been your favorite race being a part of the women’s rowing team?

Aubrey: We had a scrapyard four (a four-person boat). This lineup had never been put together before prior to this race. We get on the starting line, and we just go as fast and as quick as we can first 500 meters. We are neck and neck with WPI and in the next 500 meters we pass them. Then, all of a sudden, we start heading up on Wellesley in the next 1000 or so meters. Wellesley is a team that is a baby dragon of rowing. They are giant, fearsome, and usually an excellent team. These girls know how to row. But obviously not too well, because we ended up passing them around 4000 meters. Then and the odds of this happening are phenomenally small we catch three consecutive crabs, which are little hiccups that drive the boat speed down, a blade is catching the water not at the correct time. We are neck and neck with Wellesley, and we end up beating them, but it was a very close race. That was my first great race. It was something that doesn’t happen often, if ever.

Thanks for the interview, Aubrey!