Athletic Department Makes Changes With New Sports Information Director

Lauren Neilan looking to expand Cougar presence both on and off the field

Simone McGuinness, Scarlet Staff

As of last Monday, Sept. 18, Lauren Neilan has been officially named as Clark University’s new Sports Information Director (SID). From Mendon, Mass., she has spent the past two years at Anna Maria College in Paxton in their Sports Information Office while completing her Masters of Business Administration with a concentration in marketing. At Anna Maria, she first served as a graduate student before being promoted to the Sports Information Director role.

Neilan spent her undergraduate years at neighboring Assumption College as a member of the Women’s Varsity Field Hockey team. Senior year, she began to intern with Assumption’s athletic department, and fell in love with her role there. She was attracted to the energy and pace of the job, being able to get out on the fields and the courts to watch the games and interact with student athletes.

With her second week at Clark underway, Neilan already has visions for the athletics program.

“I want to expand our social media presence. That’s my favorite part of the job … the video-making, the social-media marketing aspect of it.” She went on to emphasize its importance to the student athletes and coaches alike to promote athletic activities effectively.

Neilan plans to work one-on-one with each team and coach to understand their visions and goals, and ultimately try to actualize them.

“If they have a goal in mind that they’re looking to see out there, then I’m happy to create that for them because that would be really rewarding to be able to give them that…That would be my main goal and I know that it is really important to everyone,” she said.

Neilan also acknowledged the importance of recruitment and how social-media plays an integral role.

“The whole department works together to grow our program… [we want] student athletes to come to Clark and experience Clark athletics.”

In order to begin acting on these goals, Neilan plans to introduce herself to each team individually.

“Now that I am in college athletics, it’s going to become very important to me to do [this]. I think getting out there, showing my face at games and practices, sit[ting] down with each team to introduce myself and have me tell them their names and a little about themselves [will allow me] to start making those personal connections,” she explained.

“I like to have my presence known. When there are games, I’m going to them…I’m out on the field, throwing up the videos. It’ll be fun and it’s just taking off.”

Neilan has begun at a busy time of the year for athletics, but has been greeted by an extremely helpful and supportive staff.

“There are a lot of people who want to make this position as successful as possible and want to help,” she said.

The new SID arrived just in time, as many of the fall sports have had great success so far.

“It is competitive… where everyone is working 110 percent… and that’s the mentality for every team,” explained Neilan.

As the semester progresses and Neilan settles in, little-by-little teams, players, and non-athletes will grow to know her as a familiar face. She is ecstatic for what’s to come in Clark Athletics and cannot wait to help the program evolve.