Review: It

Pennywise the Clown Proves to be No Jester.

Sabrina Hallal, Contributing Writer

Do you remember your childhood fondly? Maybe you won an award in school or made an ambitious art project. Maybe you made really amazing friends and spent the summers going on adventures. Or, better yet, maybe you were chased around by a demonic dancing clown who desperately wanted to kill you. Nice childhood memories, right? Well, you might just get to relive your childhood memories with Andy Muschietti’s new horror movie, “It.”  

Fans of Stephen King’s novel, or Tommy Lee Wallace’s mini-series, have been waiting 27 long years for the return of Pennywise the Dancing Clown. With almost 500 million dollars in worldwide box office sales and an 85 percent “Certified Fresh” score on Rotten Tomatoes, it’s clear that the wait was worth it. Considering that “It” is about a clown who kills children, it is no surprise that the main protagonists are children. The seven children Pennywise preys upon deserve their own round of applause. Each one of them is endearing in their own right, and each one has a distinct and memorable personality. Perhaps the best performance in the film, though, is Pennywise himself. Played by Bill Skarsgård, Pennywise is the combination of everything we feared as little kids. Though he doesn’t get much screentime, he never fails to send chills down the spines of the audience with his killer smile and deadly sense of humor. Pennywise isn’t just scary for people afraid of clowns either. There is just something unsettling about him that renders even adults scared of the dark.

As far as horror movies go, this one wasn’t the scariest. At times the movie solely focused on the children’s friendship and their summer antics, making it feel more like a Disney movie than anything else. But when Pennywise was on screen, everyone in the audience held their breath. We didn’t get to learn much about the killer clown’s background, or why he is haunting this particular town. Fortunately, we don’t have to worry, because “It” is only the beginning.