Red, White, and Green

Individual towns fight back after statewide legalization of marijuana

Andrew Vontzalides, Contributing Writer

This past election cycle, the voters of Massachusetts narrowly approved a ballot question that would legalize recreational marijuana in the state by a margin of 53.7 percent to 46.3 percent.  Despite this success for pro-legalization groups, parties in opposition to the newly liberalized marijuana laws have been pushing back with some moderate successes.  One does not have to look far back to see examples of this: as recently as Sept. 19, Milford voted by a 56 percent to 44 percent margin to impose a ban on the sale of marijuana in their town.  This is despite the fact that last November Milford voted by a 52 percent to 48 percent margin to legalize the sale of marijuana in the state of Massachusetts.  Under a law passed by the Massachusetts state legislature this past summer, municipalities who opposed the legalization of marijuana can ban the sale of recreational marijuana in their towns without a vote. On the other hand, towns that voted for the legalization may ban recreational marijuana sales in their town, but it must be done by vote.  

With the early voting results, there has been an expected but disappointing trend of hypocrisy, with voters being okay with the legalization of marijuana, just “not in my backyard.”  This perspective can be seen with issues transcending the legalization and sale of drugs;  many communities were largely supportive of the proliferation of wind turbines in previous years, but only as long as they weren’t obstructing the view of their particular skyline or ocean.  Though disillusioning, this is certainly an all-too-human characteristic: supporting noble or transformative ideas in the abstract and opposing the process of making them reality. That voters would oppose the sale of drugs that were very recently illicit in their town or city should come as a surprise to few people.

In my view, the problem lies with the bill passed by the legislature this past summer.  I worked for my state representative Brad Jones, the minority leader of the Massachusetts House of Representatives, during the passage of this bill.  While I respected his and his colleagues’ integrity and pragmatism, I find the bill deeply flawed in its broad decentralization of the implementation process for the marijuana ballot question.  Having such a large variation in the new rules and regulations for a legalized drug has more than a pernicious effect on the consistency of our state law.  A better compromise would be a bill that was significantly less decentralized but allowed for some leeway for those deeply opposed to the legalization of recreational marijuana.  Such a bill would rein in the excesses of the current one in favor of a system where only towns who opposed the vote could ban the sale of marijuana in their town, and then only by vote.  Recreational marijuana is now the law of the land in Massachusetts, and we should be much more conservative with the exceptions we make to it.

1 Comment

One Response to “Red, White, and Green”

1. Brian Kelly on October 6th, 2017 2:20 pm

Marijuana consumers deserve and demand equal rights and protections under our laws that are currently afforded to the drinkers of far more dangerous and deadly, yet perfectly legal, widely accepted, endlessly advertised and even glorified as an All American pastime, alcohol.

Plain and simple!

Legalize Marijuana Nationwide!

Every major poll in the nation shows A Solid Majority of Americans favor The Legalization of Marijuana Nationwide!

“Americans Favor Legalizing Marijuana Support surged 10 percentage points in past year””
    http://www.gallup.com/poll/186260/back-legal-marijuana.aspx

“A solid majority of voters nationwide favor legalizing and regulating marijuana similar to the way alcohol and tobacco cigarettes are currently regulated. Most also don’t believe it should be a crime for people to smoke marijuana in the privacy of their own homes”
    http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/lifestyle/general_lifestyle/may_2012/56_favor_legalizing_regulating_marijuana

“Americans favor making cannabis legal for adults, according to the findings of a CNN/ORC International survey released late Monday. The percentage is the highest ever reported by the survey, which has been tracking public opinion on the issue since 1973, and marks a 12 percentage point jump in support since the last time pollsters posed the question in 2012”
    http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2014/01/06/cnn-poll-support-for-legal-marijuana-soaring/

There is absolutely no doubt now that the majority of Americans want to completely legalize marijuana nationwide. Our numbers grow on a daily basis.

The prohibitionist view on marijuana is the viewpoint of a minority and rapidly shrinking percentage of Americans. It is based upon decades of lies and propaganda.

Each and every tired old lie they have propagated has been thoroughly proven false by both science and society.

Their tired old rhetoric no longer holds any validity. The vast majority of Americans have seen through the sham of marijuana prohibition in this day and age. The number of prohibitionists left shrinks on a daily basis.

With their credibility shattered, and their not so hidden agendas visible to a much wiser public, what’s left for a marijuana prohibitionist to do?

Maybe, just come to terms with the fact that Marijuana Legalization Nationwide is an inevitable reality that’s approaching much sooner than prohibitionists think, and there is nothing they can do to stop it!

Legalize Nationwide!…and Support All Marijuana Legalization Efforts!

[Reply]

• Red, White, and Green

Featured

Dance the Night Away

• Red, White, and Green

Featured

Allies and Allyship

• Red, White, and Green

Featured

The Story of “Us”

• Red, White, and Green

Featured

Lost in Paradise

• Red, White, and Green

Featured

Of Monsters and Men: Scary Stories as Told by Clark’s English Professors

• Red, White, and Green

Featured

Tales from Fall Fest

• Red, White, and Green

Featured

The Spread Love Tour Comes to Clark

• Red, White, and Green

Featured

Worcester Muralists Paint the Town at POW! WOW! Festival 2017

• Red, White, and Green

Featured

Politicians and Clarkies Alike Respond to Hurricane Maria

• Red, White, and Green

Clarkie of the Week

Clarkie of the Week: Emilee Cocuzzo

Red, White, and Green