CUFS “Rocky Horror” Frolics to Terrifying Success

Monica Sager, Scarlet Staff

Clark University Film Society (CUFS) hosted a showing of “Rocky Horror Picture Show” Friday, Oct. 28.

“Rocky Horror Picture Show” is about engaged Brad (played by Barry Bostwick) and Janet (played by Susan Sarandon), who find Dr. Frank-n-Furter’s (played by Tim Curry) mansion after getting stuck in the middle of nowhere during a rainstorm due to a flat tire. The two go through the night, experiencing things they never have before and encountering all the crazy characters the mansion holds. Frank-n-Furter, a transvestite scientist, unveils his creation, Rocky (played by Peter Hinwood), a muscular man.

“Rocky Horror Picture Show” was released in 1975 and is rated R for sexual content and language.

The event started at the door, before even entering Jefferson 320. “Rocky Horror Picture Show” “virgins” were branded with a red lipstick “V” on their cheeks. They also received a red balloon, symbolizing a red cherry, to pop before the movie started.

Virgins were also requested to sing “I’m a Little Teapot” before the movie commenced.

Before the movie started, there was a costume contest. As announced by a CUFS member, “whoever gets the most claps [from the audience] wins.”

Costumes included a soldier, lumberjack, drag queen, and Polly-string.

Nora McIntyre (‘21) won in her all-black outfit of boots, tights, corset, and cape.

“I’m just an average citizen,” McIntyre said in response to what she was wearing.

With over 60 students in attendance, it was the club’s biggest event of the year, according to Mitchell Dumke, who helped out with the event.

The event seemed to be well received, as audience members sang along and danced throughout the whole movie.

“There may be times that you want to come to the front and dance, like to ‘The Time Warp’,” Dumke said. “Please remember to have fun tonight.”

And people did dance. Numerous audience members stood at their seats and danced to “The Time Warp,” jumping to the left and thrusting their pelvises back and forth along to the lyrics of the well-known movie song.

Besides dancing, throughout the whole movie, shouts from the attendees livened the movie. Jokes were made at the expense of Janet and Brad. A lot of interjections made the dialogue of the movie very funny and enjoyable to watch. Many audience members had smiles on their faces the whole time.

CUFS planned the movie portion of the night very well. The club members handed out last week’s publication of The Scarlet for audience members to cover their heads with as CUFS members ran around with squirt bottles full of water, as Janet covered her head in the movie with a newspaper in the pouring rain.

Toilet paper was also thrown amongst the audience. At the reference of cards, a deck was tossed as well.

Birthday hats were also provided. Audience members were encouraged to put them on as Dr. Frank-n-Furter did while singing to Rocky “Happy Birthday.”

And, of course, there was candy.