“The Vagina Monologues” Raises Awareness Through Humor and Heart

Emily Morang

Emily Morang

Drashhti Bilmoria, Scarlet Staff

This past weekend Clark University hosted its annual Vagina Monologues.

The program began with an introduction from co-directors Anny Ul-Ain (‘18) and Lila Sorensen (‘20), explaining how the Vagina Monologues came to be, with a warning for anyone who might be triggered by any topics the show would present.

First performed in 1996 as an episodic play written by Eve Ensler, the Vagina Monologues delves into sexual experiences – consensual and non-consensual alike – body image, bodily mutilation, female encounters with reproduction, sex work, and other topics as seen from the point of view of girls and women of varying ages, races, sexualities, and more.

Since its inaugural production, the Vagina Monologues has grown to include V-Day, a global non-profit movement that helps domestic and international organizations stop violence against girls and women. The Vagina Monologues plays an essential role in this, with the actual event hosted globally between February 1 and April 30 each year.

This year’s performances included a variety of monologues, including Hair, My Angry Vagina, My Vagina Was My Village, The Little Coochie Snorcher that Could, The Woman Who Loved to Make Vaginas Happy, and I Was there in the Room. While some of these pre-written pieces were performed by cis actors, some of them also encased the experiences of the LGBTQ+ community, and others were edited to reflect the performers’ own experiences. The show managed to mix humor – such as the “Clark University moan” – with an air of seriousness regarding the topics discussed to make a show that was an overall success.

Students participating in the Vagina Monologues then presented pieces written by themselves or other Clark students. These pieces varied in topics, from experiences with sexual assault to living with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS).

One original piece in particular, written and performed by Arai Long (‘21), regarding queer relationship abuse and its interaction with straight society, was met with thunderous applause as well as a standing ovation. When asked about her reasons for performing such a personal piece, Long relayed that she was thankful for the chance to share her work and experiences to make others feel less alone and be the voice that others in her position might not have had.

Overall, the Vagina Monologues allowed women across campus to express themselves in a way that brought light to some of the struggles girls and women face every day.