Screen 209 students set their sights on “Eyeline”

Bridgette Sullivan, Contributing Writer

Colleen Durkin, a Clark University junior majoring in screen studies, wrote a neo-noir screenplay last semester called “Eyeline.” This semester, she is studying abroad in Spain, while a team of seventeen Visual and Performing Arts students transform her screenplay into a film.

On May 1, 2018 at 12:00 p.m., the red carpet will be rolled out for the premier of the film in Razzo Hall. Until then, Screen 209 students meet every Friday on the third floor of the Traina Center for their Genre Production Workshop class.

They are hoping to produce a quality film that everyone will be proud of. Soren Sorenson, the instructor of the course, is pleased with his students and their dedication to the project so far.

“It’s going really well,” he said. “The students seem really motivated and ambitious. They were shooting even before I was aware that they were shooting.”

The course used to start with the class writing a screenplay together. This year, Durkin created the screenplay before the course began.

“I contacted Colleen based on the fact that we had a bunch of different students express the desire to begin this 209 class with a script already in place,” explained Hugh Manon, the professor who helped her write this screenplay, and a film noir specialist.

Everyone involved agreed that starting with a script was more efficient for the time allotted to complete this project.

While Sorenson said students are motivated and ambitious, he is worried about scheduling.

“Stars have to align for students’ schedules to line up. But, that’s how most productions are like,” he noted. “I think it’s very realistic – that there should be level of stress about actually getting the pages shot.”

This course is different than a typical film production course. Rather than having each student create an individual piece, these students will work collaboratively on this one 40-minute film.

Savannah Dube (‘19), the producer, commented on her experience with the class so far.

“We’re working on this one project for the whole semester,” she explained, “so the class is more of a project than a class in some ways, but we are also learning about the genre of the film and different aspects of filmmaking.”

Another difference is the level of skill required. All these students have taken the Introduction to Film Making course with Sorenson. They all have a specific area of expertise. Before being authorized to enroll in this course, each student had to be interviewed by Sorenson to make sure they would be suitable for the team.

Each student was assigned a role on the crew, whether it be lighting or sound engineer, costume designer, director, producer, or actor.

Dube described her responsibilities as a producer.

“My role on set is to keep track of people’s schedules and deadlines and communicate with different departments,” she explained. “I get to go to all the meetings and be a part of every step of the process and organize things, which I really enjoy.”

The crew is looking forward to future shoots. Based on scenes filmed thus far, they have confidence that the content is professional and high quality. Sorenson even mentioned that one of his colleagues described the footage as “the best-looking student film he’d ever seen.”