Clark Swimming and Diving Breaks Multiple School Records at NEWMAC Championships

Monica Sager, Scarlet Staff

Clark Swimming and Diving competed in the New England Women’s and Men’s Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) this past weekend. The men’s team came in seventh and the women’s placed in ninth.

NEWMAC was hosted at the Zesiger Sports and Fitness Center Pool at MIT Feb. 22-25. Teams who competed alongside Clark were: Babson, Coast Guard, MIT, Mount Holyoke, Smith, Springfield, Wellesley, Wheaton, and WPI.

After the first day, MIT was in the lead with 64 points. Clark had 30, from two season best relay times for the women’s swim team and a top ten placement in diving by Co-Captain Steven Castiglione (’18).

Day two was filled with Mira Siewert (’19), Allison Dubick (’21), Amelia Muratori (’19), and Quinn Mitchell (’19) taking seventh place out of ten teams in the “A” final of the 400-yard medley relay.

Saturday brought record breakings. Siewert broke two school records, in the 100 breast and the 50 split. Mitchell broke her own school record of 100 butterfly with a time of 56.85, earning her third place in the event.

The final day, Sunday, Castiglione finished in the top ten again, this time for the men’s one-meter dive, with a final score of 350.80.

The men’s “A” relay, made up of Julian Ortega (’19), Bill Holloman (’19), Dylan Schrama (’19), and Johan Nel (’19), placed in seventh with a season best time of 1:31:63.

The women’s “A” final, consisting of Siewert, Muratori, Mitchell, and Co-Captain Charlotte Gray (’18), also placed in seventh in 1:41:96. Mitchell broke the school record for women’s 100-yard butterfly with a time of 56.85.

There were numerous personal records (PRs) made throughout the competition for Clark.

Leading up to the competition, Head Swimming Coach Paul Phillips, who has coached fifteen seasons, had the team visualize their races.

“We still raced, but it’s a lot less yardage,” said Eric Cobert (’21), who mainly distance races for the team. “Let’s say I’m racing the 500. He’ll have me do only the 100. But he’ll have me visualize me going my goal 500 pace…I’ll meditate on it for a moment or so and then get up on the blocks and race. So it’s a way to kind of step back and think about exactly how I’m going to do this race.”

Phillips led the team in the guided meditation for their last practice, Wednesday, Feb. 21.

“We’re all one big family, and that’s why we call each other CUSDF [Clark University Swimming and Diving Family],” Cobert said. “It’s just a great group of people who care about one another, who look out for one another.”

Co-Captains Gray, Jacie Carson (’19), and Mira Siewert (’19) were named to the NEWMAC 2017-2018 Women’s Swimming and Diving Academic All-Conference Team, according to the team’s website. Rowan Moody (’20) was named to the NEWMAC 2017-2018 Men’s Swimming and Diving Academic All-Conference Team.

Honorees must have earned a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.5/4.0 scale or 4.35/5.0 scale after the 2017 fall semester. Members must also be at least a sophomore at their institution and have been a member of the varsity swim team for the entire season.

“One. Two. Three. Four. Let me hear your Cougar roar,” Cobert chanted. “Clark!”