Variant’s Spring Show “Colours” Paints the Stage

Emily Morang

Emily Morang

Monica, Scarlet Staff

Variant Dance Troupe presented their Spring Recital, “Colours,” on March 30 and 31.

“Variant is just this great group of people,” said Julie Reed (‘21), who, in her second semester of being with Variant, danced in seven songs. “Everyone is welcomed.”

Songs ranged from the first performance of the upbeat “Get Ur Freak On,” choreographed by Sophie Kelliher (‘20) and Mitch Williams (‘20), to movie-hit “Rewrite the Stars,” choreographed by Kathryn Madaloni (‘20).

The recital was moving, with many powerful songs being featured.

The more lyrical choice, “Body Love,” choreographed by Emily Robins, spoke about girls fighting to accept themselves. Robins created a dance that was perfectly timed to Mary Lambert’s chant. It brought tears to the audience’s eyes.

“I never danced to a spoken word before, but I was like, ‘I want to do that,’” Reed said. “[Variant] gives you the opportunity to experience things you wouldn’t experience otherwise, which is nice.”

Kesha’s “Praying,” choreographed by Caroline Daley (‘20), was another hit of the night. Girls came out on stage with handmade shirts. Each had a different word on it: able, strong, guts, etc. The ballad tells of Kesha’s fight after being sexually and physically abused by her producer, Lukasz “Dr. Luke” Gottwald. The anthem of moving forward and believing in yourself was a powerful message that definitely showed through the dancing.

There were dance moves throughout the night that had the crowd cheering too.

“It’s really nice to have friends and be like ‘Oh my god, I really want to try this stunt,’ and have people like ‘Yeah, I’m down to help you with that,’” Reed said.

There were moments of dancers being thrown in the air and others of them running on top of a formation of “stairs” to leap off in a big downbeat to the song.

While the dancers were all talented and well-prepared, one doesn’t have to come in knowing exactly what they’re doing to join Variant.

“It’s very much like [you] walk in and everyone’s like awesome, let’s work on it,” Reed said. “You can show up whoever you are.”

Members have expressed that throughout their endless practicing and dancing, Variant becomes like a family.

“[During] Variant hell-week, everyone wants you to take care of yourself,” Reed said. “I’m glad that I’m in it. Everyone is there to support what you do.”