‘Change Can’t Wait’ For This Democratic Nominee

Matthew Levin-Nussbaum, Contributing Writer

On Tuesday, Sept. 4, Massachusetts voters went to the polls to vote in the 2018 primaries. The Massachusetts primaries went largely as expected. On the federal level Tuesday’s results will have little effect on the partisan makeup of the politicians Massachusetts voters send to the House of Representatives in November. No republican has been elected to the U.S. House of Representatives from the state of Massachusetts since 1997. This trend is likely to continue following the 2018 general elections. In four of the nine house seats up for grabs this November, the Democratic candidate is running unopposed.

The most surprising result of Tuesday’s elections was Ayanna Pressly’s upset over Michael Capuano in the 7th district. Ayanna Pressly is running unopposed and will likely become the first black woman to represent Massachusetts in Congress. The results from the 7th district are surprising but not unprecedented in the 2018 electoral season. Capuano is the fourth incumbent to be unseated in this cycle. Ayanna Pressly’s victory echoes that of Alexandria Ocasio-Cotrez’s who won the Democratic primary in New York’s 14th congressional district over incumbent Joseph Crowley. Like Crowley, a 10-term incumbent, Capuano was also 10-term incumbent who was also an influential member of the Democratic caucus. Unlike Crowley, Capuano actively campaigned for his seat. The 7th district is the only minority majority district in the state and includes most of Boston, portions of Cambridge and Milton, and the cities of Chelsea, Everett, Randolph, and Summerville.

With 100% of votes reported Pressley defeated Capuano by a stunning 18 percent. This is markedly different from the results of WBUR early August poll which had Capuano leading by 13 points. Pressly ended her celebratory speech by saying, “Change isn’t waiting any longer. We have arrived. Change is coming and the future belongs to all of us.”