Colorfully Full of Pride

Worcester Pride Celebrates the LGBTQIA+ Community

Pictured is Drag Queen Kelley Square

Pictured is Drag Queen Kelley Square

Marena Koenka '21

Marena Koenka '21

Pictured is Drag Queen Kelley Square

Arianna Reyes, Social Media/Web Editor

On Saturday, Sept. 8, Worcester had its annual Pride Festival for the LGBTQIA+ community. The festival had events going on all day, including tents throughout Worcester Commons, and a parade which led to speakers and special guests performing on stage. The event as a whole was a beautiful celebration of love and unity amongst all different people, of all nationalities, ethnicities, sexual identities, and ages. While this was a celebration of the queer community, it was also an inspirational and informative event on issues happening within the United States and Massachusetts.

The most colorful and interactive part of the entire festival was the parade. There were many LGBTQ+ organizations, as well as supporting organizations, marching down the streets of Worcester. Two of the participating organizations in the parade were Clark’s clubs, OPEN and Umbrellas, which focus on LGBTQ+ issues and work to unify people of all sexual identities on campus.

There were also local organizations donating their time and company products to Pride, as well as booths for LGBTQ+ organizations from all over Worcester, and tables for churches, political campaigns, and nonprofit organizations in support of the community.

Through the entirety of the parade there were many people running to the sides and yelling small statements of what they stood for, or simply wishing everyone a “Happy Pride!” One woman, who was part of the Trinity Lutheran Church, cried, “They can’t take Jesus away from me!”

Along with these verbal expressions of Pride, individuals throughout the parade were holding signs with clever sayings on them, most powerful, as they were memorable. Planned Parenthood joined the march with signs that read “I stand with Planned Parenthood,” while chanting an inclusive saying that involved people of all genders and sexualities.

Another group was holding signs that read, “I love my gay child [siibling, or grandchild]” or “I love my trans child [sibling, or grandchild]”, showing the inclusivity of allies such as parents, grandparents, and even siblings into the community.

An older woman who was marching held a sign that read “NO PRESIDENT IS ABOVE THE LAW” on the front and “MAKE (Y)OUR COUNTRY GOOD (AGAIN)” on the back. This last quote addresses the issues within our country right now, and how a good portion of the queer community feels about the country’s current political situation.

There were many speakers who took the stage during the event, one in particular was the president of Worcester Pride, Peter Bacchiocchi. As he introduced himself, the crowd got very excited in welcoming him to the stage, and people cheered and shouted.

With the crowd riled up, Cindy Foster took the stage as the festival’s hostess. Foster is a lesbian comedian based in Massachusetts. As she took the stage, it seemed clear that Foster was excited and proud to be a leader in the event. While she cracked many jokes, leaving the atmosphere light hearted and fun, there were also many moments in which her tone turned passionate about the cause and about Pride as a whole.

Along with her jokes, Foster spoke about what exactly it means to be a part of Pride. “Giving up your love and support…this is why we have Pride,” she reminded the audience. She explained that the importance of such a diverse crowd of people was to create a support-system for the LGBTQ+ community of people who want the same for everyone: equality and love for all.