New England Conference Highlights Clark Athletes

Seven Cougars receive NEWMAC honor this academic year

Sara Conroy, Sports Editor

In the past several weeks, the Clark University Athletics department has been represented well among the New England Men’s and Women’s Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) student athletes. Each week, the NEWMAC chooses offensive and defensive players of the week in each sport to highlight some of the best student athletes in the conference. Clark athletics is proud to have had many of our own student athletes among those to receive this honor so far, this academic year.

While it is a great honor for individual players to receive this honor, it also reflects very well upon the Clark Athletic community as a whole to have so many of our athletes receive honors in their respective sports. There are a total of seven Clark student athletes who have received NEWMAC player of the week awards in their respective sports since the fall athletic season has begun. Here we’ll highlight each of these players.

Dani Michaud (‘19) was named the Field Hockey Defensive Athlete of the Week. Michaud is a senior goalkeeper from Providence, Rhode Island. So far this season, in just 5 games, Michaud has made 49 saves and has a save percentage of 81.7% of shots taken on her. As a senior keeper, she has started and played in every game of the season. Michaud has played a large role in the teams 5-3 overall record so far. If you want to catch Michaud and the Women’s Field Hockey team in action, be at the Dolan on Saturday October 6th at noon to see them take on Babson College.

The Clark Men’s Soccer Program has had three student athletes named to the NEWMAC Offensive Athlete of the Week so far this season. The first of the three was first year, midfielder/forward, Alex Maiorano from Shrewsbury, Massachusetts. In one weekend, Maiorano had put away three goals and made two assists.

Next up for Offensive Athlete of the Week in Men’s Soccer was Charlie Lane (‘20). Lane is a junior midfielder from Southborough, Massachusetts. So far this season, Lane has 3 goals and 2 assists. In soccer, you score individual points in the conference by scoring goals and making assists. Each goal scored is two points for an individual and each assist is worth one point for an individual. In just one week of play, Lane scored 5 of his 8 season points.

Joining Maiorano and Lane from the Clark Men’s Soccer Program is Sean Munroe (‘20), who was most recently named the Men’s Soccer Offensive Athlete of the Week. Munroe is a junior midfielder/forward from Silver Spring, Maryland. He has started every game this season and has scored 7 goals in just 8 games. Munroe has racked up a whopping 17 points early in the season. All three of these Men’s Soccer players have helped put Clark Men’s Soccer at the very top of goals scored in the nation this fall season. Clark is fourth in the nation for Division III goals scored this season. You can see the Men’s Soccer program, hopefully, continue to build upon their goals scored in their next home game on Wednesday, October 10th at 7:00PM.

Women’s Soccer also had three student athletes named to the NEWMAC Athlete of the Week. First for the Cougars, center back, Sara Berube (‘21) of Wilmington, Massachusetts was named the Defensive Athlete of the Week. Berube has stepped in as a leading role on the team after the program graduated their senior captain and starting center back, Emma Denault (‘18). In the eight games that the Women’s Soccer team has competed in, they have only let up four goals against.

Most recently, Inonge Kaloustian (‘21) and Rylee Simons (‘19) swept the Women’s Soccer NEWMAC Athlete of the Week honors. Kaloustian is a sophomore forward from Bowie, Maryland. She earned NEWMAC Offensive Athlete of the Week honors. She has four game winning goals in this season which puts her in a tie for fourth in national game winning goals scored for a Division III Women’s Soccer player. In the same week, senior captain Rylee Simons clenched the Defensive Athlete of the Week honors. Simons is the other starting center back for the Cougars. She has held a leadership role on the defensive line for all four years she’s been on the program and has started all 62 games in which she has played in her career. Come out to support the women’s soccer team at home on Tuesday, October 2nd at 7:00PM.

Last, but certainly not least, the Women’s Volleyball program has had two named the NEWMAC Athletes of the Week. In the same week, seniors Ana Patricia Mercado and Rayme Quiban were named the offensive and defensive Athletes of the week, respectively. Mercado is from Guaynabo, Puerto Rico and Quiban hails from Seattle, Washington. Both are captains of the program this season. In this season, Mercado reached a career milestone by reaching her 1000th career kill in a match against Westfield State. Quiban received her honors on the defensive end for helping to keep the ball off the Cougar end of the court. In one week, Quiban recorded 85 digs. She has recorded 216 on the season so far. You can watch Mercado and Quiban lead the Women’s Volleyball team at their next home matchup on Saturday, September 29th at 11:00AM or 3:00PM.