The Cougars Are Rolling Through the Fall Season

A Recap on Fall Sports at Clark University

Nicolas Lee '20

Nicolas Lee '20

Sara Conroy, Sports Editor

The Scarlet wanted to give you a round-up on what’s been happening in fall sports for the Cougars. We’ll cover the fall athletes’ seasons so far and let you in on where these teams are headed next. Read more to find out what your favorite Cougars have been up to for the past month.

First for men’s and women’s cross country, this season has brought about many challengers. The men have had a bit of a challenge shaking competition in meets including the UMass-Dartmouth and James Early Invitationals, where the men finished 35th out of 41 and 19th out of 29 respectively. The men, arguably competed the best at the Keene State Invitational at the end of September, where they finished 4th out of 7. On the women’s side, the Cougars have been competitive, but stand towards the middle of the running pack. The women finished 28th of 45 at the UMass-Dartmouth Invitational and 11th of 29 at the James Earley Invitational. While there is only one more Invitational for both of these teams, individual runners will have a chance to show their speed at the New England Women’s and Men’s Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) finals and the NCAA finals for cross country.

Next up in Clark Athletics is the men’s and women’s soccer teams. If you can remember back to our early September issues, the men were crushing their early season games and were among the top goal scoring teams in the nation. Now, the men are fighting for their spot in the NEWMAC tournament. The Cougars record in the conference is 2-3-1, putting them in the middle range of the conference. With big wins against MIT and Emerson putting away three more goals than their opponents in both games, the men will have a shot at getting back some of the narrow losses during the season at the NEWMAC tournament. For the women, the beginning of the season was also by a record number of wins for the team over the last few years. They won 6 of their 9 games during the end of August and September. October games have challenged the Cougars, putting them a step behind in their season, with 4 losses of 6 games in October. With only two more games in the regular season, it’s looking like the Cougars will need to win their remaining games to ensure a spot in the NEWMAC tournament. You can catch the women play one more home game on Saturday the 27th at 1pm.

Our Clark University women’s field hockey team played their last home game on Saturday the 20th of October. The Cougars have struggled through the second half of their season schedule and have had any even tougher time competing with NEWMAC teams this year. They’re placed 7th in the conference and won’t be seeing a conference tournament berth, but the Cougars have 7 wins to reflect on and a spring season to look forward to. We wish the women’s field hockey team the best of luck in their remaining two games of the season.

The women’s volleyball team has evenly challenged their opponents throughout their season. The team has 12 wins and 12 losses overall in their season, and have 2 wins and 6 losses in the NEWMAC conference. They’re currently placed 9th of 11 in the conference, which is a setback from where they were at this point last year. At the end of conference play last year, the Cougars had 6 wins and 4 losses on their NEWMAC season. The women made it to the NEWMAC quarter finals in their 2017 season, but it’s looking like this season is going to come to an end earlier for the Cougars.

For our women’s tennis team, the 2018 season has been riddled with tough non-conference opponents. The team had just two recorded wins in their fall season, which ended on Wednesday the 10th of October. While the team has a great number of games to reflect on, they play their NEWMAC opponents through the end of March and April. You can cheer on the women’s tennis team in the spring semester of this Academic year to their hopeful placement in the NEWMAC tournament.

Finally, for the women’s rowing team, the season has been quite successful. The Varsity 4 Boat performed very well at the Head of the Charles, in Boston, coming in 24th out of 40 competitors. This race is world renowned and brings is competitors from countries all over the globe. The last time the Novice 8 boat raced, at the Head of the Snake meet, they finished 6th of 14 competitors. The Women’s rowing team has one more race for the season and then they head into their winter training season where they each have big goals.

That’s our wrap up on Fall Sports leading up to the NEWMAC tournaments. Support your Cougars through the next few weeks, and get ready to come out for Winter Sports soon!