Swimming and Diving Begins

Sara Conroy, Sports Editor

The men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams seasons are underway. They opened their season at the CCC Invitational at Roger Williams University back on October 20th. The men came in 4th out of the 6 competitors and showed very well in races.

In the 200-yard medley relay, Dylan Schrama, Konstantin Drallios, Sebastian Ortega and Julian Ortega placed 3rd. Julian Ortega continued his fire in the 200-yard individual medley and the 100-yard freestyle races, finishing 1st and 2nd respectively in those races.

On the women’s side, the Cougars placed 5th out of the 7 competitors. There was fierce competition on the women’s side of this meet, which included the Roger Williams Hawks who placed 1st in every event at the meet. Even so, the Clark Cougars showed well. In the 200-yard medley, lady cougars Emma Bulman, Mira Siewart, Quinn Mitchell, and Amelia Muratori finished third. Quinn Mitchel also took second in the 100-yard butterfly and was only narrowly out-touched by her first place opponent.

Similarly to Clark’s Cross Country and Women’s Volleyball team(s), the men’s women’s swimming and diving teams compete in a tournament of local Worcester teams. The Worcester City Championships was held on Friday the 26th of October. It was a two day event of intense local competition.

WPI, Assumption, Holy Cross and Clark faced off at WPI. The women placed 4th in the tournament, but showed a very strong finish. In the second day Clark placed 7th of 20 in the 200 yard freestyle with Amelia Mratori, Allson Dubick, Quinn Mitchell and Elizabeth Cownie all competing. Amelia Muratori also placed 4th of 25 swimmers in the 50-yard freestyle race.

On the men’s side, Assumption did not compete. The corgaurs took 3rd out of the men’s competitors. While the overall team score did not reflect the Cougars finest, there was a major highlight for a junior on the team. Our men’s diving team member Rowan Moody was awarded the best Male Diver award at the meet, the Whit Griffith award. Moody also finished first in the 1 meter dive by a landslide.

Konstantin Drallios was the only male swimmer to place in the top three in a race over the weekend long event. He placed third in the 400-yard individual medley out of a 13 swimmer field.

The men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams will head to Bridgewater State on this coming Saturday, November 10th, for their next meet. You can catch the Cougars competing at home on Saturday November 17th starting at 10:00 AM.