A Blast From the Past: The Scarlet on November 5, 1998

Voting, the Beginnings of the Safety Committee, and a Head Coach Steps Down

University Police Chief Stephen Goulet addresses the safety concerns of the Clark community at a Safety Committee meeting in 1998.

Julia Baldacci, Managing Editor

Twenty years ago this week, Clark students and members of the community voted in the midterm elections. In “The Scarlet Letter,” an anonymous piece was published discussing voter turnout. In 1998, national voting statistics were at an all-time low. However on campus, voter turnout was stellar. The writer attributes this to the efforts of several organizations on campus. MassPIRG, Hillel, and the Student Council all worked together to register roughly 100 students. According to David Coyne, former director of Hillel, the “Rock the Vote” movement also proved to be effective on Clark’s campus. The piece rounds out by encouraging more students to vote and thanking those that did.

Also that week, members of the Clark community gathered for the first meeting of the newly-created Safety Committee on Wednesday 4, 1998. The group came about to address the concerns of the Clark community on violence on campus. Notable presences at the meeting were Clark University Police Chief Stephen Goulet, Dean of Students Denise Darrigrand, Student Council President Steve Ostendorff, and Student Activities Board President Matthew Robbie.

Goulet informed students of what security measures have been implemented since the recent outbreaks of violence which included foot patrols at night around the residence halls. Ostendorff then began setting the agenda for the night and detailing a possible new measure — the installation of new call boxes and security lighting. After the discussion, those present went on a walking tour of the campus to look at what areas would most benefit from these installations. Another idea which was well-received was the possibility of on-campus security cameras as a deterrent for would-be criminals. There were no promises made on this issue, and these and other talking points were later discussed among smaller groups.

At the conclusion of the Women’s Tennis season, John Boschetti resigned from his position as Head Coach, Laurie Sawicki reports. Says Boschetti, “I’m just leaving. I have other things I’d like to do. Why don’t we just leave it at that?” His statement was that he resigned for personal reasons, however he made several comments regarding the fact that his position was part-time. He said adamantly, “I don’t want to get into this topic,” yet continued to comment that coaching was too difficult to do on a part-time level. “It’s more full-time than part-time, and I cannot give Clark that time.” Boschetti intended to continue to work about 20 hours a week at his day job teaching math, science, and computer science at a regional day school.

Boschetti appears to have been a controversial presence on campus. Hannah Flynn, senior captain of the Women’s Tennis team that year, praised his coaching abilities. She also noted that there were personal conflicts between Boschetti and players. “He’s not very personable,” she stated. Other players were not satisfied with Boschetti’s coaching. Senior Liberty Jones thought the way he handled his resignation was unfair. She said, “He knew he was leaving at the beginning [of the season]. I don’t think it’s fair that he waited until the end of the season. He should have told us at the start. It would’ve opened up some honesty.” She also thought he was not committed to the team due to it being his last season. According to her, “He’d say things under his breath like, ‘only one more season.’” Losing coaches was not a new occurrence to several Clark sports teams. The Clark tennis, crew, volleyball, and men’s lacrosse teams had all seen coaches come and go in short spans of time, because they were all part-time occupations as well.