Bach meets Nicki Minaj and Sam Smith in VDT and Dance Society Fall Showcase

Back to Article
Back to Article

VDT and Dance Society's shows combined a variety of skill levels and styles. Image via Marena Koenka.

Sara Conroy, Sports Editor

It’s truly too bad if you missed out on the Fall Showcase for two of our campus dance groups, Variant Dance Troupe and Dance Society. The showcase was held last weekend on Friday and Saturday in Atwood Hall. I had the wonderful opportunity of attending on Friday night. Atwood could be found completely packed with students, parents, and friends of performers.

There were a total of 19 dances performed over the evening. For the most part, dances switched in between Variant’s dances and Dance Societies’ dances. Many in the crowd clearly knew dancers in both groups, as whenever a dance was being performed or was coming on-stage, one could almost always hear the names of dancers being shouted from the crowd.

The mix of style, ability, and pace make the pairing of these two groups in a Fall showcase quite interesting. Variant Dance Troupe explores many dance styles in their body of work including lyrical, modern, jazz, ballet, and hip-hop. They describe themselves as a dance group open to anyone who is willing to make the commitment to dance, whether they have experience or not. Junior co-president of Variant Dance Troupe, Sophie Kelliher had this to say about her group,

“I think variant is very special because we take people of all different dance backgrounds and often times, people who have never danced before college. One of my favorite parts about variant is seeing people find themselves and gain a new confidence that they didn’t have when they first joined. I think variant is a great space for people to grow and flourish because we accept all and support each other for trying new things. By hell week we truly are a family.”

When Kelliher mentions “hell week”, she’s speaking to the crazy schedule of training right before a show. Dancers stay up until the wee hours of the morning practicing their group dancers on the Atwood stage. While in some of these nights dancers can put in about four hours a day for dancing, many of them make a similar commitment throughout the semester. I talked to the Scarlet’s very own Ari Reyes who dances in Variant Dance Troupe. She noted that every dancer puts in at least four hours a week to be a member of the group, but that most put in at least six hours a week working on the big group dance and small group dances. Reyes also said that some performers will put in upwards of 10-12 hours a week. Similarly to other athletic clubs and teams on campus, these students work extremely hard to balance their academics with the sport they love.

On the other side of this Fall Showcase is Dance Society, an audition-based group which offers female dancers the space to perform and choreograph. Dance Society is currently headed by Seniors Brittney Lacerte and Adrianne Kasmally. They had the following to share about the hard work the group put into the Fall Showcase, “We are very proud of all the dancers and the work that the team put in this semester. We had a short season so things moved pretty quickly, but everybody’s hard work and dedication made things run very smoothly. We are always impressed with what everyone comes up with and it’s always a pleasure to watch everyone’s visions come to life at our showcases. We always have a ton of fun performing and we’re already looking forward to our next show!”  

The showcase featured a lot of fun themed dances that the crowd got into over the course of the night. Some of my favorites included Dance Societies “Lay Me Down” and Variant Dance Troupe’s Nicki Minaj Power Mashup. Who doesn’t love a good power mashup? Overall the night had me wanting to bust some moves of my own.

Both groups are looking forward to their Spring showcase.

If you missed the Fall Showcase for Variant Dance Troupe and Dance Society, you can still catch hip-hop collabo fall showcase on the 7th and 8th of December. The dances in that show will be inspired by hip-hop, R&B, and reggae style music. The Dance Society will also be participating in Clark’s production of the Nutcracker on December 1st and 2nd.