Midnight Mayhem a Miss for Men’s Basketball Team

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Clark Men's Basketball team during Midnight Madness. Image courtesy of Katie Morrison.

Sara Conroy, Sports Editor

Midnight Mayhem is the annual season opener for the men’s basketball team. Each year, Worcester State and Clark take turns hosting a showdown basketball game at midnight. Not only is it a chance for the Cougars to show off what they have been working on for the past year and their new talent, but it’s also a chance for students and faculty to get together and celebrate Clark Athletics, as well.

Clarkies went over to Worcester State by the busload. Clark sent two buses to allow students free and safe transportation to and from the game. Many students also made the less than two-mile drive over to the Worcester State athletic complex on their own. However students may have gotten to the game, they were in for good game between the Lancers and the Cougars.

Unfortunately, the Cougars did not come home with the win, but they had a good showing nonetheless. They fell to the Lancers by six points at the final buzzer. The game tipped off at 12:01 am and before the game was over the two teams were tied four times, the leader changed hands three times and a total of 168 points were scored.

Within the first five minutes, Freshman Antonio Lapeyrolerie of Plano, Texas put his first collegiate three-pointer on the board. The Lancers and Cougars would go back and forth controlling the play of the game. Biko Gayman put up the most points in the first half with 10 points and teammate Laperol. The Lancers defense held strong throughout the first half, keeping the Cougars at a 40% shooting percentage. At half, the Worcester State led Clark by nine points.

Clark came back on fire with an 11-2 scoring run to tie the game up. Seven of the 11 points were scored by Tyler Davern of Webster, Massachusetts. The Lancers countered again throughout the second half, going on spouts of uncontested play. With about two minutes left in the run of play, Worcester State had sealed their victory putting up eight points on the Cougars.

A disappointing first loss for the Cougars, but a close game for sure. Clark will be cheering on the men’s basketball team this season as they hope to rise over a tough 2017-2018 season, where the Cougars had only pulled up four wins in the season. You won’t be able to catch the men’s team at home until after Thanksgiving break, on November 29. Until then, you can catch the women playing at home on November 20. Read more of the Scarlet’s Sports News section to hear about how Clark’s women’s basketball team opened their season in the Worcester City Tournament.