Season Opening Tournament for the Women’s Basketball Team

Sara Conroy, Sports Editor

In the Worcester City Tournament, featuring the Worcester State Lancers, the Becker College Hawks, and your Clark University Cougars, the Cougars suffered two losses.

The first matchup of the tournament for the Cougars was against the Lancers. The Cougars held the lead at the beginning of the game, and Cori Ouellette (‘19) of Madison, Connecticut sank a three-pointer to put the Cougars up 8-6. Unfortunately, the Lancers came back to lead at the end of the 1st quarter which they held onto throughout the second quarter of play.

It looked like Clark might come back with an uncontested run with Ogechi Ezemma (‘19) and Hannah Favaloro (‘21) both contributing to a strong offensive run. Again, the Lancers persisted and kept their lead throughout the rest of the matchup. The final score in the game was 59-49 for the Lancers.

Next, the Cougars would play the Hawks for third place in the tournament. Ouellette started off the game by sinking a quick three-pointer, but the Hawks began to pull away with a lead earlier in the first quarter. Ezemma had a great game and it began in the second quarter and was aided by her teammates. First-year Camryn Richey put up five points to put the Cougars within two points of their opponent, and first-year teammate Virginia Benbow put up another two-pointer to the tie the game.

Ezemma was crucial to keeping the Cougars close in this match by combining with teammates to get in behind the Hawks defense. Leaving the third quarter, the score was tied 51-51. Unfortunately, the Cougars couldn’t claw their way back to lead this game. At the end of the game, the Hawks ended with a 70-66 victory.

While this isn’t the turnout our women’s basketball team wanted to open up their season, they will play the rest of their non-conference games for November and attempt to gain momentum going into the regular season play. You can catch the women facing Anna Maria College at home again on Tuesday, November 20.