Clark’s Musical Talent Shines Through At Cougarfest

Colleen Falconer, Contributing Writer

Friday night saw plenty of Clarkies packed into Tilton Hall for Cougarfest, a music festival with a lineup of entirely Clark bands and performers. Running from 9 in evening to 11 at night, the festival offered a warm vibe; handmade pennants adorned the stage and string lights lit the space. Signs leading up to Tilton announced the evening’s theme, which was mystery.

Sponsored by the Pub Entertainment Committee, Cougarfest featured artists like Lily Pillsbury, HAUL_T, Beneath Purgatory, and Olivia Frances. Genres of different performances ran the gamut, ranging from indie folk to electronica. The variety between acts served to showcase the diverse array of musical talents right here on campus.

Attendees of Cougarfest were excited to see musical artists from the Clark student body. Many students began moshing when heavy metal band Gravefucker performed.

Performer Tim Lucey (’22) appreciated the variety of the festival. “I like the fact that there were folk acts followed by long-haired dudes screaming into a mic with blast beats,” stated Lucey, who is the drummer for Gravefucker and lead guitarist for indie folk band George’s Bones. He also expressed his excitement at the opportunity to play in both acts, and the acceptance he felt in performing. “Being a new fresh face on campus and seeing some great work and music received so warmly was wild.”

Lucey felt that the acceptance and the diversity of acts seen at Cougarfest were very reflective of Clark and its arts and music scene. “Everyone was fantastic,” he explained. “I considered everyone in the lineup as an individual ingredient in a gumbo.”

Members of PEC were equally enthusiastic and proud of the show. The Pub Entertainment Committee is responsible for bringing a plethora of outside artists to Clark. “Cougarfest is my favorite event that PEC puts on,” said Fin Mooney (’19), a member of PEC’s executive board. Mooney is in charge of booking bands for PEC events, but Cougarfest has a special place in his heart. “Every year it never fails to give Clark musicians the opportunity to display their talents.”  

Mooney feels the annual event is powerful in its ability to showcase many musicians on campus who are not involved with Clark-affiliated music programs. It allows them “to connect and collaborate around music. We have an abundance of talent at Clark! The whole event was joyous and profound; I can’t wait till the next Cougarfest.”

From the looks of it, neither can most Clarkies.