“Who Would Jesus Deport:” An Anti-Trump Declaration Like No Other

Katherine Hamilton, Editor-In-Chief

Who would Jesus deport? It’s a question you may not have asked yourself, but one that will stick with you like a bumper sticker that someone else put on your car. It is indeed a question that could only emerge from the mind of David W. Jacobsen, a lone wolf of the underground music world who escapes classification and is now promoting his newly-released political EP. Jacobsen currently holds a fanbase of thirteen monthly listeners on Spotify and appears to be self-promoting his work through student newspaper reviews across the country.

His five-song, digital-only EP, “You’re Fired and Fury,” was released in October 2018 and features classics like “WWJD (Who Would Jesus Deport).” Reflecting both its political bent and its simplicity, the cover art depicts the infamous but unmistakable hair of our current POTUS along with a Comic Sans styled title.

This is his first overtly political work, and the hopeful Jacobsen says he hopes the lyrics, which are predominantly off-kilter critiques of Donald Trump, “become dated as soon as possible.”

Many of his songs take on a satirical voice of Trump, such as “Two Scoops” and “Bought a Senator,” which condemn the president for excessive wealth and corruption. While Jacobsen’s timing and rhyme schemes are sometimes cringe-worthy, he also comes through with some zingers like his line, “when you got money you don’t need consent” (“Bought a Senator”).

Musically, the EP plays like a hypnotic chant. The monotonous baseline and drum arrangements are almost unchanging between songs, and if it weren’t for the Grammarly ads at the beginning of each song on YouTube, it might be impossible to get through all five songs in one listen. Still, Jacobsen’s unique voice – generously compared to James Taylor in UMass Dartmouth’s student paper, The Torch – keeps the audience attentive. In songs like “Angel’s a Deplorable, the listener is jarred out of a near-coma when Jacobsen surprises with outbursts of “you voted for Trump!?”

The sound is truly unlike almost anything else produced today; the closest comparison I could make would be something reminiscent of The Wiggles. Of course, this is also juxtaposed with content that rhymes “war” with “whore.”

Although this is his first debut on the political music scene, Jacobsen has been producing albums since 2001. 2016’s full-length album “Begin the Chagrin” has possibly been his most successful work yet, garnering at least twelve reviews from student newspapers across the US. The album chronicled a number of unusual characters, effectively blending satire and melancholy – a combination Jacobsen seems to favor in all his work. It also features “Guitar Guy,” a simply unrivaled parody of Billy Joel’s “Piano Man.” Jacobsen has said that one of his biggest goals is to work hard on his hooks and write songs that have something memorable in them, which he certainly achieves in several of his latest releases.

According to The Torch, Jacobsen plays at birthdays, weddings, and frat houses, as well as typical shows. He has a few shows now booked around New York and his home state New Jersey, where he accompanies himself on the acoustic guitar and “amus[es] his audiences with an enjoyable banter,” according to his biography.

“You’re Fired and Fury” is a digital-only release and can be found on YouTube and Spotify. This EP is certainly not for the faint of heart, the traditionally-minded, or those susceptible to hypnosis, but it is surely a convention-challenging Clarkie classic.