The Cougars (Polar)Bear The Start of Conference Play

Back to Article
Back to Article

Katie Morrison

Katie Morrison

Katie Morrison

Sara Conroy, Sports Editor

It’s getting colder outside, but athletics at Clark University turns up the heat as winter sports roll into their regular season play. The men’s and women’s basketball teams have been hitting the court at home and away while the swimming and diving teams are in the pool grinding away to challenge opponents. Read more to find out what your Cougars have been up to the past few weeks.

Women’s Basketball

The Cougars have been working hard on the court to come up with some early victories in their season. The women’s basketball teams beat Nichols College handedly in their first victory of the season. Senior guard Sam O’Gara led the game with 24 of the 65 points scored in the game. Freshman Emily Sifferlen and Elyssa Jackson were both consequential in taking the lead for the Cougars as well.

The women were able to break their preseason jitters and keep their win streak going through the next week of play. The Cougars faced off against Anna Maria College and dominated the run of play. Anna Maria is another non-conference opponent, but the Cougars led by 20 points at the final buzzer. Sam O’Gara again led in points, but Sophomore Hananh Favaloro was close behind putting up 17 points. The Cougars commanded the second half of the game, outshooting the AMCATS 14-6 in the third and 16-11 in the fourth.

The women also visited the Simmons College Sharks and came home with another big victory. Senior guard Maya Kerstetter led the team 16 points in the game with Hannah Faveloro (’21) followed close behind. Senior Guard Cori Oullette helped push the Cougars to their first sizeable lead in the first quarter hitting a big three pointer. The Cougars continued to put up big points and won 78 to 49 at the final buzzer.

The women’s basketball team suffered a setback when they played Massachusetts Institute of Technology taking a hard loss. However, they get back on the court on Saturday the 8th at WPI. If you want to catch the team before the Spring Semester they also play at home on Tuesday the 11th at 5pm.

Men’s Basketball

The men’s team has been struggling to put up enough points to edge out opponents this season. They have competed for two narrow losses over the first part of the season. Against Anna Maria College the Cougars lost by just 4 points in over-time.

Sophomore Tyler Davern led the team putting away 25 total points, but teammate Charles Stevens (’21) also put away 20 points off the bench. The Cougars tried to lock down their side of the court and forced 20 turnovers over the course of play. Unfortunately, Anna Maria was able to outshoot the Cougars for a 55.9% shot percentage to take the lead at the end of the game.

On the flip side, the Cougars have also been able to pull a narrow win to Regis College by 7 points on the 1st of December. Tyler Daven again led the Cougars in shots with 23 on the game and Joel Arteaga (’22) scored 20 points to earn his first double-double of the season. Biko Gayman (’21) held the lead of assists helping to pull his teammates closer to victory.

The second half was truly a nail biter, with Regis scoring a three-pointer with just 14 seconds left on the clock to tie the game at 73-73. The Cougars came out with fire during overtime and put away eight points in the first four minutes of overtime and kept their lead through the rest of the play.

The men will play at home one last time before break on the 6th, where you can catch the Cougars playing Framingham State in the Kneller at 7pm.

Swimming and Diving

The swimming and diving teams suffered another setback on the season at their first home meet this season. The Cougars were edged out by the Babson Beavers in a close meet back on November 17th.

The Beavers topped the Cougars in a 114-108 win. The 200 Yard Medley Relay, raced by Allison Dubick, Quinn Mitchell, Amelia Muratori, and Mira Siewert started the meet off on the right foot finishing a full second ahead of their opponent. Quinn Mitchell and Amelia Muratori continued to lead the Cougars with wins throughout the meet in the 200 Yard Freestyle and the 50 Yard Freestyle respectively. For the divers, Freshman Anna Gilmartin finished second collecting another crucial eight points.

On the men’s side, the Beavers took the top spot again. However, Eric Cobert had a fantastic showing in the 1000 Yard Freestyle finishing way ahead of any of his opponents with a time of 10:54:08. Diver Rowan Moody was consequential in this meet as well putting up 18 points for the Cougars, after receiving 9 points in both the 1mtr and 3mtr dives.

More recently, the Cougars traveled over to the WPI swim and dive complex to compete in Gompei Invitational. This is considered a fairly prestigious meet, where 15 teams from all over the Atlantic states come together to face strong competition. Scarlet standout Mira Siewart broke her own school record in the 50-yard breaststroke with a time of 31.99 seconds.

Unfortunately, the Cougars ended up finishing 14th at the Invitational, but it was a great chance to compete against some of the other great DIII athletes around the East Coast. The Clark Athletics media team caught up with Head Swimming and Diving Coach Paul E. Phillips who shared some of the following in their interview, “The teams came together and supported each other in meaningful ways throughout the weekend which is how to get it done so I’m proud of them for that”. The Cougars will be at home one last time before this semester ends on Saturday, December 12th at 1pm.