Clark Artists: The Beginning of Frances Forever

Emma Pulizzi, Contributing Writer

As Frances Garrett (also known as Frances Forever) was explaining the feeling of sharing her music with the public, a Clark University student approached her in the Academic Commons, gushing, “I’ve been listening to your music on Spotify, and it’s really, really good!”

This student is not the only person captivated by Garrett’s recent releases—“fuck u” from her EP, Pockets, has almost 5,000 streams on Spotify, and she released a music video for her song “cry inside my car” last month.

The process of producing her music began last year when Garrett connected with Emilio Del Carmen, a Clark Student and self-taught music producer, with whom she has since collaborated.

Del Carmen and Garrett were united by their mutual desire to share their music with the public.

“Last year, I was working tech for the Clark Bars, Frances’ a capella group, and she had a solo on the song “Friends” by Francis and The Lights,” Del Carmen commented. He was impressed with her performance and decided that Garrett was someone with whom he wanted to collaborate.

However, the pair did not end up working together until a few months later. “I think at one point we were in the cafe, and I went up to her and was like ‘I saw you sing one time—would you want to sing on one of my songs?’”

Del Carmen and Garrett worked together in 2018 to produce one of his songs, “Could This Be Us,” with Garrett on vocals. This track can be found under Del Carmen’s producer name “shyiloh” on Spotify.

Soon thereafter, Del Carmen offered to help Garrett produce her own music, which would soon become Pockets, her first professionally produced EP.

When it comes to production, the two artists’ skills are well tailored to one another—they both write and produce music, and Del Carmen typically takes the lead on production, while Garrett focuses on songwriting and singing.

For Garrett, she explained that songwriting is an outlet for expression when she is feeling low, and that her raw emotions are often apparent in her work. “It gives me a lot of clarity, if I’m going through something, to write a song about it,” she commented. “All my good songwriting ideas come when I’m in a really emotional state.”

One of her songs, “cry inside my car,” even includes a voice memo Garrett recorded in tears after a particularly bad day at work. “I was crying in my car, and wanted to text my friend, but I couldn’t because I was driving,” she recounted.

Del Carmen and Garrett worked together to edit the recording, maintaining its original emotion but giving it a comedic touch by including part in which Garrett complains about a snow blower.

Garrett cited “cry inside my car” as her favorite song to perform live, mainly because it gets the audience to let loose, and also because she gets to sing it with her talented band.

This band is especially meaningful to Garrett, given that it is the first band she has performed her music with. Shosh Weiner, a friend of Garrett’s and backup singer in her band, commented, “Frances encourages us to try new things while still staying true to her own style. She’s such a pleasure to work with and a phenomenal friend to have.”

Garrett admits that she was nervous to release her own music for the first time. “I had spent my teen and adult life writing those songs,” she explained. When the response to her music was overwhelmingly positive, she felt gratified. “It feels like everything is paying off, and that’s a really good feeling.”

As for Garrett’s future, her ultimate goal is to continue producing her own music, but the possibilities are plentiful. “I definitely want to do some sort of music as a career, whether it be teaching, recording for other people, or writing for other people.”

Fans need not worry, as Garrett is sure of one thing—“I definitely am going to do music for the rest of my life, which is good.”

You can find Frances Forever on Spotify, and on Instagram as @frances.4ever, and shyiloh on Spotify, and on Instagram as @shyilohmusic.