The Faim: An Experience Like No Other

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Faim: An Experience Like No Other

Jonathan Weiner

Jonathan Weiner

Jonathan Weiner

Arianna Reyes, Editor-in-Chief

On the evening of May 3 in Worcester’s own Palladium, Australian band the Faim, took the stage and stole the hearts of everyone who attended. While they may not have been as well known as the headliner, Andy Black, the Faim showcased their incredible talent and energy, and the audience ate it all up. The energy throughout the entirety of the portion of the show wavered throughout the entire room.

From the second their lead singer, Josh Raven, took the stage, it was clear that their performance was going to be impressionable. The first thing he screamed out to the crowd was “How is everyone doing tonight?” While the crowd burst into cheers and screams, Raven quickly turned back and with a large grin shouted back “Me too!” From then on the incredible energy resonated throughout the crowd and it was clear that each and every person, whether or not a fan, felt and loved their set.

Raven clearly loved and appreciated all that the crowd had to offer because as he ran into the crowd his amazing energy radiated even farther into the room. He clearly loves his music and loves the crowds that surround him. Raven’s compassion for the music his band creates together is extremely evident, and he clearly loves what he does. Throughout the entirety of their set, all of the band members showed how much they loved what they do through the way that they played their music. They all seemed to transport into another magical world that allows them to create amazing music.

Personally, watching Raven interact with the crowd, between jumping onto the bar and running up to the balcony, it was clear he shared his compassion in close quarters with both fans and people who were not totally sure who the Faim was. However, if people there were not fans before the set, they definitely were after. There were a few people standing in front of me and I overheard them saying how amazing they thought the Faim was. They were extremely excited to have gotten to see them perform, and a lot of people were willing to go buy their merchandise post-set and talk to some of the bandmates.

Pre- and post-set, the Faim’s bassist, Stephen Beerkens, was selling their merchandise to fans and newly-made fans. Pre-set, my friend went to buy a t-shirt from them and we overheard a conversation he was having with a women. She was asking why he wasn’t backstage practicing for the show, and he replied with a witty, “Practice? We don’t need practice.” Post-show, I decided myself to buy a t-shirt, and while Beerkens was sweaty and tired from the set he had just incredibly played, he was willing to sign my friend’s and my t-shirts.

I went into the show already fan, but didn’t realize how much more of a fan I would become after seeing them live. Even with the rude middle-aged lady who yelled at my friend and me to get out of her way, we still had an incredible time and loved every minute of the Faim’s set. I would absolutely recommend anyone take a listen to their music, and if you ever have the chance to see them live, it is definitely an experience like no other.