The Creepy and The Kooky Showing of “The Addams Family”

A gateway into the Halloween Spirit

Back to Article
Back to Article

Tiffany Vo, Contributing Writer

Nothing gives me a greater sense of accomplishment than being able to take time out of my day to watch a movie instead of studying for my midterms. Never having seen “The Addams Family” before, it was the perfect way to get into the Halloween spirit. Plus, it made me laugh, instead of crying over the paper that was due the next morning. The titular Addams family, although dysfunctional on many levels, are grounded by their family bond which gives them a sense of innocence.

In the film, family patriarch Gomez Addams is longing to find his brother Fester after they had cut their ties with each other 25 years ago. His lawyer, Tully Alford, is up to his knees in debt and finds a look-alike to replace Fester, and plots his way into the family’s fortune. As Gomez is delighted to be reunited with his long-lost brother, conflict stirs as the family has doubts about Fester’s identity and unravels this conflict to find the truth.

“The Addams Family” is a humorous movie that plays with a variety of characters who thrive on the ideas of corruption, but who are also completely oblivious to the ill intentions of their fellow companions. It was refreshing to watch these characters who have such morbid hobbies also have a tight family dynamic, as their actions were driven by the joy of reuniting with Fester and bonding with him. Although there were some gruesome scenes, they were all lighthearted and comedic, proving how this movie is not meant to be scary at all. It was an enjoyable experience to watch this movie with a group of friends to relax away from the assignments we had waiting for us.

Clark University Film Screening Society will be playing a variety of movies throughout the month of October to get us ready for Halloween festivities. When this article comes out, although midterms might be over for some, everyone will still need an escape from the hustle and bustle that comes with everyday life. What better way to do that than to watch a movie by yourself or with a couple of friends? They’ll be playing “Halloweentown” on the 7th, 10th, 12th, 17th, and 19th followed by “Midsommar” on the 21st, 24th, and 26th. Nearing towards the end of the month they’ll have one showing of “The Rocky Horror Picture Show” on the 25th and “Night of the Living Dead” will be playing the 28th, 31st, and November 2nd. It’s fun, it’s free, and as college students, that’s something that we all need.