The Vagina Monologues: They Speak for Themselves

Evelyn Ford, Contributing Writer

To anyone who has not heard of the “Vagina Monologues” before, the very title may elicit a furrowed brow or a confused and slightly nervous laugh. The mention of the word “vagina” may evoke a feeling of discomfort or even fear in some. But for Aryana Kubiak (‘20) and Maddy Molina (22), the co-directors of the Vagina Monologues at Clark this year, the title connotes validation and pride. 

The two women stood at the front of the Lurie Conference Room for the Vagina Monologues general interest meeting on Monday, October 28, Kubiak wearing an unapologetic lacy black top and Molina in last year’s “Vagina Monologues” t-shirt decorated with the drawings of three sets of bare, crossed legs. They excitedly described the episodic play by Eve Ensler to the small, but enthusiastic group of six prospective members. 

This year, “The Vagina Monologues” will be performed by Clark on February 21 and 22. Auditions will be the week of November 8 through November 11. Female and nonbinary Clark students are welcome to audition and all who audition will be given a role. All proceeds from the show will go to Abby’s House in Worcester, an organization that provides support services including shelter, affordable housing, and advocacy to women in need. 

“The Vagina Monologues” is comprised of various personal monologues from a diverse group of women. Topics of the monologues include sex, body image, menstruation, sex work, sexual assault, masturbation, love, and more. The performance aims to bring topics that are often considered taboo to the spotlight of the stage and spark dialogues on hard-to-talk-about, but relatable topics among women.

In an interview after the general interest meeting, Kubiak’s face lit up as she spoke about her first time seeing the Vagina Monologues: “Going to the performance and seeing these women talk on stage was so incredibly validating. It was amazing to see these women play so many different characters, serious, sexy, funny, but all of them strong in their own way. Seeing them talk about their own experiences, and seeing them reclaim who they were, was just so empowering that I had to sign up.” 

She continued that her goal as a director is to create the same feeling of validation in this year’s performance. “I love that the cast is open to nonbinary members. I love that people were very open about their sexual orientation and educating others and when they didn’t want to talk about it, everyone was very respectful of that,” she said, speaking of last year’s cast. 

In the same interview, Molina said, “I think [“The Vagina Monologues”] is one of the first spaces to successfully speak openly and publicly about women’s issues…I think it’s a great way to start a conversation with so many people because it touches on so many issues.” She emphasized the importance of “The Vagina Monologues” as a space to bring women together and promote learning about identity and, well, vaginas.