Blast From The Past: The Scarlet on November 16, 1989

Back to Article
Back to Article

Image courtesy of The Scarlet

Image courtesy of The Scarlet

Image courtesy of The Scarlet

Image courtesy of The Scarlet

Julia Baldacci, Social Media/Web Editor

The big news from this week’s edition of The Scarlet that was published thirty years ago was a change in Clark’s Code of Conduct. Referred to as “Big Brother Clark,” the code states that the administration can take the same disciplinary action against students on and off campus. “Clark University recognizes all federal and state laws, and, thereby, will not take responsibility for, nor offer protection to violators of such laws…The University administration reserves the right to take disciplinary action against violators of these laws, this code, and other university policies.”

In addition to an effort to clarify the language extending the codes jurisdiction beyond Clark’s campus, changes in the code were also prompted by incidents involving Clark students clashing with the community. Reportedly, 33 Clarkies were arrested at an off-campus house party in 1987, and no formal protection for the studies was supplied. “Our interpretation at the time was that the students living off campus had to deal with the consequences of their actions. But after looking back at that summer and at other situations, we decided that our responsibility is to make sure that the students are responsible neighbors,” said Dean McKenna.

In other news, a Holocaust survivor lived to tell the tale of his horrifying experience to Clark students on November 16. Mark Kerkowitz, at the time a retired furniture salesman living in New York City, spread a message of faith and love for all mankind, including his former oppressors. Though a victim of unspeakable terror, Berkowitz urged the Clark audience to forgive, but never forget the sufferings of the Holocaust.

In the opinions section, student Charles Hattenbach contributed a lengthy piece about AIDS and how it was changing the way people think. Hattenbach established that the discussion surrounding AIDS is a moral issue and went on to describe the fear felt throughout society that children might contact AIDS “due to either ignorance of how to protect one’s self, recklessness,  through intercourse or even through receiving contaminated blood.” He stated that, while AIDS itself is not a moral issue, what AIDS does arouses moral issues. Hattenbach wrote that while the government wants to stop the spread of AIDS, they also want to prevent the further use of any illegal drugs, and will have a difficult time accomplishing either. He concluded the article by saying that people with AIDS should be treated more humanely and that a campaign to inform the public on AIDS should be put into effect.

The 32-page edition of The Scarlet ends with a look at Clark’s men’s basketball team, that at the time had a streak of nine 20-win seasons, accumulating a winning percentage of 76%. The team was also the first New England Division III team to qualify for 11 consecutive NCAA tournaments. The goal for 1989-90 was to continue the winning tradition by focusing on patience and rebounding.