Viva Las Vegas Loop Begins

Will Mahan, Scarlet Staff

Enacting bold and unprecedented projects is nothing new to Elon Musk, the C.E.O. of TESLA and SpaceX. This week it was announced that Elon Musk’s “The Boring Company” has begun digging its ground-breaking transportation system in Las Vegas. In May of this year, it was announced that the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority approved a $48,600,000 contract with The Boring Company, to build Musk’s tunnel transport system. Tunneling below the Las Vegas Convention Center, the system is planned to take people to a shocking total of three stopping destinations. The transport system plans to be ready for public launch as early as January of 2021. The tunnel system consists of multiple autonomous electric vehicles, which can ferry up to 4,400 passengers at a time. They can also speed up to 155 miles per hour. According to Las Vegas Convention officials, the tunnel transport system named “Viva Las Vegas Loop” will be free to use. “We’re excited for what it will do for guests here. We’re excited for what it can do for the destination as a whole.” (Steve Hill, Las Vegas Convention C.E.O.) As this project begins construction, Elon Musk and The Boring Company have already begun laying out plans to construct similar transport systems in Los Angeles, as well as in Baltimore. The project represents a huge step up from the test tunnel, with The Boring Company opening their tunnel transport system to the public, for the first time ever. The innovative transport system is also planned to bring convention attendees across the Las Vegas Convention Center’s Campus in approximately 60 seconds. A big question on everyone’s mind is the inspiration for this groundbreaking project. Elon Musk attributes long traffic as a primary reason for enacting the system. “Either we try something new, or we will be stuck in traffic hell for the rest of our lives.” (Elon Musk, The Boring Company C.E.O.) Another positive benefactor of this plan is the environmental impact it would have on our carbon emissions footprint. Using all electric power, Musk’s transport system has the ability to revolutionize the United States’ reliance on fossil fuels in new and profound ways. “At this point, I’m confident that this can revolutionize cities, and get rid of soul destroying traffic.” (Elon Musk, The Boring Company C.E.O.) The Boring Company intends to ensure safety within the tunnel system, by having all electric vehicles in the tunnel run autonomously. They plan to have each vehicle in the loop with the other. A lot more challenges lie ahead as construction for this industry changing tunnel system begins, but one thing is for certain: a revolution in America’s transportation systems is coming quickly.