It’s Cold Outside but Winter Sports are Heating Up

Image+courtesy+of+Clark+Athletics+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Image courtesy of Clark Athletics

Image courtesy of Clark Athletics

Image courtesy of Clark Athletics

Image courtesy of Clark Athletics

Sara Conroy, Sports Editor

Winter is finally here. Snow may not be accumulating, but according to the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) it’s winter sports season. Clark hosts four NCAA teams for the winter season including women’s and men’s basketball and men’s and women’s swimming & diving. Luckily for Clarkies, that means all the fun athletic action has been moved indoors for several months. So stay warm by coming out to Clark Athletic events over the winter months. In this article The Scarlet checked out how the winter teams have been competing so far in their seasons! Take a peek at the Clark Athletic schedule in The Scarlet to find out when you can attend games and meets. 

Women’s and Men’s Basketball

The women’s basketball team competed in the Worcester City tournament in their opening two games and took third place of the four Worcester teams, including Clark, WPI, Becker and Worcester State. In the first game, the Cougars fell to WPI in a 54-41 defeat. Clark held WPI just a four point lead going into half-time, but when the Engineers returned they outshot the Cougars 24-13 taking a solid lead in the third quarter. The final quarter was evenly matched again and Clark raced against the clock to put up more points, but the Engineers had managed to seal their fate. In the second game of the Worcester City Tournament, the women’s team took back some bragging rights in a defeat over Becker College. In their first win of the season the Cougars fought til the bitter end to pull out a 66-65 win over their home-town rival. With just 27 seconds left on the clock, Becker held the opportunity to overtake Clark, but with a strong defense the Cougars ensured their win. 

The women’s basketball team has a lot of young fresh talent after graduating a whopping seven seniors from their roster last season. In an interview with Clark Athletics, Head Coach Pat Glispin said that her main goal was to help the team be the best that they can be. In the same interview, Glispin acknowledged the difficulties that lie ahead but appeared optimistic about the opportunities that come from working through challenges. With so much on the plate of such a young team there will certainly be ups and downs for this years women’s basketball program, but there is a long road to NEWMAC games and eventually playoffs. 

On the men’s side of the game, the Cougars have put up one win on their season against Maine Presque Isle, the Owls, in the Herb Kenny Tip-Off Tournament. Clark scored an even 40 points in both halves of the game and held the Owls off well enough in the first half that they were unable to come back in the second. Though, in the Championship of the Herb Kenny Tournament, the Cougars fell to the Wesleyan College Cardinals. Tyler Davern (‘21) lead the game in points in both games of the tournament, scoring 36 points in game one and 21 points in game two. Ultimately, Clark was unable to put away enough points in the second half to claim the tournament title. 

The men’s team welcomes a new head coach this season: Tyler Simms. Simms comes to Clark after assistant coaching at Brown University for several years. Coach Simms voiced excitement about the incoming class and the energetic and cohesive environment, which stems from the returning classes in a recent interview with Clark Athletics. As has been voiced by Clark Coaches past and present, Simms took time in the interview with Clark Athletics to note that the NEWMAC is one of the most competitive conferences for Division III basketball and every game will be a fight. The men’s schedule, similarly to the women’s, gives ample time for the team to develop their line-up and break into a new rhythm under Head Coach Simms before taking on conference opponents. 

Men’s and Women’s Swimming & Diving

Men’s swimming and diving has competed in four meets so far this season, which actually started back in October. In the CCC Invitational at Roger Williams, the Cougars took second place in the six team invitational. In the 200-yard medley and 200-yard freestyle relays the Cougars took the second place finish to put the men in good standing. In the individual events, the Cougars didn’t quite lead the board, but managed to collectively keep the team in good standing. Gor Bagumyam (‘23) and Bernave Twyman (‘23) both took fourth place in their respective individual races. 

More recently, in a dual meet against Babson College, the Cougars fell in a 117-88 defeat. Bervane Twyman (‘23) made quite a NEWMAC showing for himself, finishing in second in both the 200-yard butterfly and the 500 freestyle races. The Cougars also held the top of the board in the 200-yard breastroke with Konstantin Drallios (‘21), Dean Whyte (‘23), and Brandon Shafer (‘20) going first, second, and third respectively. The Cougars were unable to pool together enough points to topple the Beavers.

The women’s team was also competitive in the relay challenges in the opening meet at Roger Williams College back in October. Their 200 medley and 200 free finished second and third respectively, but their individual contests could not keep them at the top of the board. The women also fell to Babson in their most recent dual meet. Allison Dubrick (‘21) took a first-place finish in the 500 free with a time 5:37.22. Mira Stewart, a graduate student, and sophomore Sydney Macedo took first and second in the 200-years breast stroke respectively. 

From the diving board, first-year men’s diver Robbie Wilson took the first place spot in the one-meter board height earning . On the women’s side on the one-meter board, sophomore Anna Gilmartin finished first 162.15 points and first-year Jenny Lee took second with 143.25 points. Lee was competing in her diving debut. The Cougars men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams will compete in three more conference dual meets and several other non-conference competitions before heading onto the NEWMAC championships.