Have You Been To a Clark Sporting Event Recently, No? Here’s a Cougar Update

Sara Conroy, Sports Editor

Have you been to a Clark sporting event recently? You surely had plenty of good options for sports to attend. Between the end of winter sports and the very beginning of spring sports, the campus has been buzzing with energy. Here is an update on what’s been happening in Clark Athletics. 

Women’s Basketball

The women’s basketball team’s season is unfortunately ending soon. The women struggled throughout the season to pull out wins against their stronger opponents. The Cougars entered their season with a mixed bag of games against non-conference opponents, but after pulling out one win in December and going winless in January, there is no longer hope for a conference championship bid. 

Last weekend, the Cougars competed in the first ever Red Classic. Both the men’s and women’s basketball teams took a weekend of home games as an opportunity to raise money for cancer research and awareness around the terrible illness. Student athletes from both teams have known the strife of having a loved one battle with cancer. Hannah Favaloro (‘21) recently lost her stepfather to cancer and when it came to the Red Classic, Favaloro told the following to Clark Athletics media, “Cancer doesn’t have any boundaries when it comes to who is affected by it… I think that combining the two teams [participate,] targets a much bigger group so that we can create awareness”. Plenty of students and parents turned out to support the cause, wearing red and donating to the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute and the Jimmy Fund in a total amount of $2,250 among both teams. Despite leaving the court with yet another loss for the lady Cougars, the day was engulfed in a hopeful tone which was sure to follow them through their final games. With one game left on the season, they had a chance to go out of the season on a high note. In their final game, they’ll be playing away at Smith College away at 2 p.m. this Saturday.

Men’s Basketball

On the men’s side of the game, the Cougars are facing similar prospects for post-season play. The men have been able to put away a few more wins against their opponents, but are still among the bottom of the conference rankings ahead of only Wheaton College. Throughout February, the team has been unable to pull themselves out of an 8 game losing streak against NEWMAC conference opponents. 

The men’s team competed against the Coast Guard in the Red Classic at home with the women’s team. Coast Guard came out on top in the end, but for Mathew Wagget (‘21) the event was about much more than winning on the court. Wagget said the following to Clark Athletics Media regarding the game, “I think this will turn into a personal event for everyone and I know that my teammates are excited about the event and to help out”. 

The last time we checked in with the men’s basketball team, Junior Tyler Davern was named the defensive player of the week by the NEWMAC and since then Davern has joined teammate Biko Gayman in history books. In a tough game against the Babson Beavers, Davern scored his 1,000th point of his college career. He becomes just the 29th player in program history to make this achievement. So, while any chance of making the postseason playoffs are gone, the men have one last chance to pull out a win against Wheaton College at the Lyons court in Norton, Massachusetts at 1PM this Saturday. 

Men’s and Women’s Swimming and Diving 

The men’s and women’s swimming teams have been competing since October, and their seasons are finally coming to a close as the final meet nears. After a long season of fierce competition, the teams will be headed to the NEWMAC Conference Championship this weekend. Both teams were edged out by most opponents in the NEWMAC conference throughout the season and are both in 10th place of the 11 teams in the conference. 

While the teams have struggled to upend opponents throughout the 2019-2020 season, the men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams both earned the College Swimming and Diving Coaches Association of America (CSCAA) 2019 Fall Scholar All American Team awards for their achievements on campus. In the pool, individual teammates challenged opponents racing to 18 top three finishes in their last conference meet of the season. After the conference championship meet the teams will be saying their goodbyes to Brandon Shafer, Mira Sewart, and Emma Bulman who are all in their last season of eligibility with the Cougars swim and dive team. 

Men’s Tennis

In the first two games of the men’s tennis season, the team was edged out by Vassar College and Stonehill College. The Cougars took a couple wins in their non-traditional season against Johnson and Wales and Roger Williams, but will face tougher competition throughout their regular season this spring. Over spring break, the men’s tennis team will be headed to the West Coast to face Occidental College and the California Institute of Technology.

Clark was voted to finish 6th of the 7 NEWMAC men’s tennis teams in the conference, which is definitely not where any team wants to be. However, the Cougars have a strong history of underdog stories and Clarkies will be on the side of the court cheering throughout the season. The next time the Cougars play at home is Thursday, March 19th at 3:30 p.m. Check into Clark Athletic’s website to see how the team performs against the teams of the sunshine state. 

Men’s Lacrosse 

The men’s lacrosse team opened their 2020 season against Salve Regina this past weekend and were defeated in an overtime matchup. With just four seconds left on the game clock the Salve Regina Seahawks earned the winning point. While the team suffered their first loss of the season, many are hopeful for a successful season. After being knocked out of the NEWMAC conference playoffs in the quarterfinals last year, the Cougars are fired-up to perform this Spring. The squad will be led by a trio of senior captains including Andrew Hollerbach, Bobby Philbin, and Chris Rasco. Head Coach, Jeff Cohen, had the following to say about the returners to his team “Every year is different and you kind of remake it. I’m hoping we can be a tough team and have a good nucleus and top to bottom have a team-first and hard-working mentality because we need to be” according to Clark Athletics media. You can catch the men’s lacrosse at their next home game at the Dolan Field House on Saturday, March 7th at 1 p.m.  against Saint John Fisher. 

This was all the Clark Athletic news the Scarlet could round-up for you this week. Come back in the coming weeks for the start of the women’s tennis, softball, and baseball season along with the flagship women’s lacrosse season. See the Clark Athletics website for game by game updates and breaking sports news.