Cougar of the Week: Sean Sullivan

by Mai Hayashi
Scarlet Staff

Name: Sean Sullivan
Director of Athletics and Recreation

Athletic Director Sean Sullivan in his office. Photo by Mai Hayashi.

Q. Tell me about yourself.

A. I grew up in Palo Alto, CA, which is very close to Stanford University. It was not only my playground as a 10-year-old kid, but also it helped me in terms of education. It was because the entire community around the Stanford area valued education. Since then, I have been a huge fan of Stanford University. I started to play soccer when I was 5 years old. When I was in a high school, I joined a soccer team.

Q. You have great achievements at your former school, York College. You increased the student-athlete grade point average by more than a tenth of a point to 3.18 and graduated 98% of all full-time student athletes. How did you accomplish those goals?

A. The department focused on academic achievement. It was limiting missed class time, using academic advisers, utilizing the library. We focused on this for seven years, and the students’ grade average increased.

Q. What is your goal at Clark University?

A. My goal is helping Clark as a university. Helping student athletes, coaches – the entire campus community recognize and embrace a successful athletic recreation program to increase how athletics is valued on campus and to help our student body become more active.

Q. It must be not easy to work with 17 intercollegiate teams at the same time. How do you manage student athletes as the Director of Athletics and Recreation?

A. That is a challenge to do so because I am not a coach, but, I must be supportive and hold students to high expectations to help believe something better. Mainly, for instance, I am counseling, mentoring, speaking on their behalf. I can help their level of success here, giving the athletes a voice across campus, responding to their interests and needs.