“Guts” Review

On March 24th, 2006, the first episode aired of what would become a television classic: “Hannah Montana.” Disney Channel may not have known it yet, but they had struck gold. With 13-year-old Miley Cyrus leading the show, the company realized they had a lucrative opportunity to market their young star as both an actress and musician. This strategy proved incredibly successful and was replicated with other Disney actresses, such as Selena Gomez and Demi Lovato. But as the 2010s wore on, Disney Channel starlets were met with less and less success in the music industry. To many, it had seemed like the era of Disney popstar princesses was over. That is, until Olivia Rodrigo. 

Though Rodrigo had been slowly climbing up the Disney Channel ranks, from “Bizaardvark” to “High School Musical: The Musical: The Series,” she burst onto the music scene seemingly overnight. What made Rodrigo stand out from her fellow Disney stars was that her music was not produced by the Disney brand. This meant she could write and sing about more mature themes than her predecessors, and yes, even say swear words. Her debut album, “SOUR”, reached incredible success, winning three Grammy Awards. Her newest release, “GUTS” , has been highly anticipated by fans and spectators alike. 

I, like many fans, had been hoping that “GUTS”  would be a chance for Rodrigo to showcase her growth, both personally and musically, from the past two years. Unfortunately, “GUTS”  is very similar in production and theme to its predecessor. That does not mean, however, that it is not a highly enjoyable album that merits a listen.

The opening track, “all american-bitch,” has quickly become a fan-favorite. Its jarring transitions from singsong acoustic verses to the loud and punk-esque chorus truly embody the song’s theme of the tragedy and frustration of girlhood. With witty and almost comical lyrics such as, “I am light as a feather, I’m as fresh as the air / Coca-Cola bottles that I only use to curl my hair,” make the song a true standout on the album. 

One of my favorite aspects of “GUTS”  is Rodrigo’s ability to self-deprecate with grace. Like any young woman in the music industry, Rodrigo has been critiqued for her naivete and supposed immaturity. However, the songs “ballad of a homeschooled girl” and “get him back!” showcase those qualities to a hilarious degree. Rodrigo relishes in her youth, in the stupid and ridiculous blunders any 20-year-old would make. Instead of trying to refute her critics, she plays into their expectations. She is laughing with them, and with us. 

“GUTS” , of course, has its sadder moments as well. The songs “making the bed” and “logical,” both melodramatic breakup ballads, feel very akin to Rodrigo’s SOUR days. Yet, with “lacy,” it appears Rodrigo has broken new ground in her song-writing journey. This song masterfully captures the fine line between infatuation and jealousy. The line, “I despise my rotten mind and how much it worships you” is especially gut-wrenching. The stripped-down production of the track paired with Rodrigo’s haunting, melodic vocals allows the lyrical story to breathe and blossom. We feel the ache, the love and the not knowing if you want to be with someone or be them all in excruciating clarity. 

In summary, “GUTS” is a worthy addition to Rodrigo’s steadily growing discography. It authentically captures the tumultuous period of emerging from adolescence into adulthood whether or not you are ready for it. This album is undoubtedly Rodrigo’s own story, but it feels poignant and real to many young people, including myself. Therein lies Rodrigo’s greatest strength as an artist: the ability to synthesize all the complex and messy emotions of youth and, in effect, spill her guts.