Where Should Clarkies Shop? Evaluating the Affordability of Main South Grocery Stores

Groceries nested in an outline of Worcester.

Inflation is hitting the US hard, and food is no exception. According to The Washington Post, grocery prices have increased by 25% over the last four years – which is 10% higher than the overall inflation rate in the same period. Experts have pointed towards several factors to explain price hikes, including supply chain disruptions, labor shortages and global droughts. The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) reports that 12.8 percent, or 17 million, of American households experienced food insecurity in 2022. These concerning developments around inflation have left many Clark students, particularly those off the meal plan, wondering what the best grocery options are in the Main South area. The Scarlet visited six area grocery stores and evaluated them based on the prices of Market Basket items, or goods that are used to track inflation in specific markets, such as milk, eggs and bread. Here’s what we found:

Big Y:

Milk: $4.49 per gallon

Eggs: $3.99 per dozen

Breakfast cereal: $3.69 (store brand)

Loaf of bread: $1.99

Chicken: $5.49 per lb. 

Big Y is fairly average in its prices compared to other Main South grocery stores. As a chain, Big Y has a wider selection of items than many other stores on this list. Big Y also has a pharmacy, toiletry items and cleaning supplies, making it convenient for one-stop shopping. Big Y is a four-minute drive and a 13-minute walk from the Clark campus. 

Price Chopper:

Milk: $4.39 per gallon

Eggs: $4.19 per dozen

Breakfast cereal: $3.79 (store brand)

Loaf of bread: $1.99

Chicken: $1.49 per lb. 

Price Chopper is fairly comparable to Big Y in both prices and the variety of items offered. Price Chopper is further away from campus, however, at a 5-minute drive and a 20-minute walk. In a choice between chain stores, Big Y is the better option for Clarkies than Price Chopper. 

Best Super Market:

Milk: $5.49 per gallon

Eggs: $4.99 per dozen

Loaf of bread: $3.19

Chicken: $3.99 per lb. 

Best Super Market has some of the highest prices on this list and has a limited selection of items, but its location lends it some merit. Located on Main St. just a few blocks from campus, Best Super Market is less than a ten-minute walk away for Clarkies. Best Super Market may be a good option for students looking to quickly grab a few items but is not the best overall pick for grocery shopping.

America’s Food Basket of Worcester

Milk: $4.99 per gallon

Eggs: $3.99 per dozen

Breakfast cereal: $4.19 

Loaf of bread: $3.09

Chicken: $2.99 per lb. 

Although America’s Food Basket of Worcester is conveniently located for Clark students (a 3-minute drive and 14-minute walk), its prices are comparatively higher than other stores at a similar distance from campus. Overall, it is not an affordable or convenient choice for Clarkies. 

Dollar General

Milk: $3.60 per gallon

Eggs: $3.25 per dozen

Breakfast cereal: $2.50 

Loaf of bread: $1.95

Dollar General has the most affordable prices on this list and is only a five-minute drive and a fifteen-minute walk from campus. However, Dollar General is limited in its selection of items and does not have any fresh produce. 

Plaza Supermarket

Milk: $5.99 per gallon

Eggs: $3.99 per dozen

Breakfast cereal: $3.99 

Loaf of bread: $2.50

Chicken: $3.29 per lb. 

While Plaza Supermarket is on the pricier side compared to other stores on this list, it is very close for Clark students at only a three-minute drive and a seven-minute walk. Plaza Supermarket also has a wide selection of fresh fruits and vegetables. 

Conclusions:

There is no one straightforward answer for where Clark students should do their grocery shopping. Depending on whether you prioritize location, affordability or item variety when choosing a store, there are many good options in the Main South neighborhood. For affordability, Big Y is the best choice. For location, Plaza Supermarket is the most convenient for Clark students. 

The Scarlet would like to thank Meghan DeCourcy and Marina Durin for their help in researching for this article. 

View Comments (2)