Editorial: The State of The Scarlet

Dear readers,

at the start of this year, we made several promises to you. The uniting theme was that we promised to do more. Now, as another academic year comes to a close, we think it’s important to recognize what our staff accomplished and welcome our new Editors.

PASSING THE TORCH: NEW LEADERSHIP in ’24

Next year, The Scarlet will be lead by its next Editor-in-Chief, Ava Orofino. Cyd Abnet will be Managing Editor. And please welcome our newest members to the Board: Rowan Compton and Gabe Schmick will serve as Opinions Editors, and Porter Orvetti has joined us as our next Social Chair.

NEW DEVELOPMENTS

A lot has changed at The Scarlet this year. We amended our Charter, and adopted an official Code of Ethics. We rolled out a new wordmark and logo, and overhauled our website. We reintroduced a print schedule, and developed a team of skilled layout artists. I’m proud to write this Editorial in our 11th edition of our 102nd volume. We spruced up our office in Maywood Hall, and introduced twice-weekly office hours. We opened up new avenues for reader feedback, ranging from new forums to an office phone number.

ACHIEVEMENTS THIS YEAR

Thanks to our dedicated staff, I believe that The Scarlet did well at delivering a year of quality reporting to our community. I am proud of what they have all accomplished.

Our staff have learned a lot this year. Seven of us (Olivia Case, Rowan Compton, Porter Orvetti, Ava Orofino, Leo Kerz, Morgan Parisse and myself) spent most of our spring break in La Jolla, Calif., to attend the Associated Collegiate Press National Student Media Conference. We attended workshops put on by industry professionals, Pulitzer Prize-winners, and fellow student journalists. We met colleagues from around the country. We even got to participate in the Design Museum, receiving critiques from influential leaders with the Society for News Design.
And in April, Sophia Lindstrom, Nic Smith and Leo Kerz represented The Scarlet at the Christopher Georges Conference on College Journalism, hosted by Harvard University’s Nieman Foundation.
At these events and throughout the year, we forged new bonds with fellow student journalists at Assumption U., WPI, Trinity College (Hartford), Merrimack and Canisius U.
These experiences have been instructive and invaluable, exposing us to industry best-practices and helping us to better serve you, our readers.
So thank you for reading The Scarlet and putting your trust in our staff. Next year, I am confident that this newspaper will continue to reach new heights in pursuit of the truth.
Sincerely,
Everett Beals ’24