Does Skype Bring Back Any Memories?

David Covarrubias and Maxine Como

Does Skype bring back any memories? The once “go-to” conferencing service seems nostalgic amid our modern-day times with the Coronavirus pandemic. For the most part, our lives have moved chiefly from in-person to virtual, which has burdened once-popular communication services like Skype.

Skype is a free calling communication and chatting service, which was launched initially in August 2003. The service allows users to video call over a computer or smartphone for free.

Skype had been the de facto communication service used primarily by offices for nearly 20 years, but the coronavirus pandemic has changed Skype’s trajectory altogether.

In May 2011, Microsoft purchased Skype for a whopping 8.5 billion dollars. The same year, a similar service known as Zoom was founded, though you probably did not know this newly popular similar service existed at the time.

Major problems occurred after Microsoft acquired Skype, hindering their long-term success. Issues with cost, compatibility with smartphones, and overall experience were some of the issues with Skype that left users vexed. Many of their complaints to the company were left unanswered!

Skype was unable to keep up with other apps in the industry, leading to its downfall. Other communication services like Snapchat and WhatsApp were similar platforms to Skype; however, they were much easier to use and navigate.

The connective tissue that allowed Skype to operate was highly controversial at the start. Software is known as a peer – to – peer (P2P) affected smartphone compatibility when Microsoft procured Skype. With the release of Windows smartphones, Microsoft needed to fix the pressing issues with the P2P software. In 2013, Skype created a cloud-powered software that eliminated problems with the original P2P systems. As new software developed and technology continued to improve, so did the need for improved and updated Skype features.

We can all attest to downloading apps that seem aesthetically pleasing but do not work adequately. Skype went through multiple re-designs to help maintain client interest and usage, but this did little to clarify concerns. Users slowly renounced the service and began migrating over to Zoom, Google Duo, and Snapchat.

Zoom is a reliable, high-quality HD communication service used by many higher education institutions like Clark University. For Clark students, Zoom allows for up to 300 participant meetings and unlimited 24-hour chatting access which can be used by professors, clubs, and other campus organizations instead of in-person events. Although Skype had been around for years, Zoom quickly overpowered the app in popularity. Caroline Milanesi, an analyst at Creative Strategies, told the UK magazine Wired, “Zoom has become the poster child for video conference, both from a consumer and corporate perspective.” Zoom is also incredibly transportable. All a user needs is a link from the host, and the individual is good to go!

Zoom, unlike Skype, includes features that are highly appreciated by its users, some of which include: large attendance space, breakout rooms, and share screening options. All around, the platform is dependable and trouble-free. My grandma actually uses Zoom as her go-to communication platform to connect with friends and family. She is a testament to Zooms effectiveness even as a fairly unversed person in the world of technology.

As a student trying to get an education amid a global pandemic, a platform with notable capabilities and easy navigation matters. Now and again, we experience a technology hindrance. However, at the end of the day, the most accessible platform with the most straightforward features wins.  

Skype and Zoom are similar communication platforms that offer the same goal of connecting you with others virtually. With Zoom’s emergence, services that were once the picture of excellence for virtual communication like Skype are becoming less used and less relied upon to offer high quality, inexpensive, and unswerving service to customers.